Epson Stylus Color 880 and Inspiron 8600?

I've just recently received a Dell Inspiron 8600, after having had an 8100
for several years. During that time I used my Epson Stylus Color 880 with
its typical printer cable and port.
The newer 8600's don't have printer ports, but only USB ports, so I bought
an adaptor cable on Ebay that I thought was going to allow me to hook up
between the printer and the 8600's USB port. I've set the printer up
several times with the USB cable, and each time the printer just hangs, the
printjobs just not printing. Could it be that the Stylus 880 is just not
compatible with the Inspiron 8600 and USB adaptor cables? Supposedly the
cable is plug and play with Win XP, which I have, so I don't need drivers,
but it just won't work. Perhaps I should buy another brand such as Belkin,
or do I need to install things in a certain order?
Thanks for any help on this!
Larz

"Larz F. Kremer" <lkremer@starpower.net> wrote in message
> I've just recently received a Dell Inspiron 8600, after having had an 8100
> for several years. During that time I used my Epson Stylus Color 880 with
> its typical printer cable and port.
> The newer 8600's don't have printer ports, but only USB ports, so I bought
> an adaptor cable on Ebay that I thought was going to allow me to hook up
> between the printer and the 8600's USB port. I've set the printer up
> several times with the USB cable, and each time the printer just hangs,
> the
> printjobs just not printing. Could it be that the Stylus 880 is just not
> compatible with the Inspiron 8600 and USB adaptor cables? Supposedly the
> cable is plug and play with Win XP, which I have, so I don't need drivers,
> but it just won't work. Perhaps I should buy another brand such as
> Belkin,
> or do I need to install things in a certain order?
> Thanks for any help on this!
> Larz

Go to the Epson website and bring down newer software/drivers if available.
Install them after removing the current software (if any) you've got in
place. If you're just using the XP native driver, delete the printer
altogether (and unplug it), and *then* install the newest downloaded
software driver. Reboot. Then plug in the powered up printer unless you're
prompted to do so during the (new) software install.

Stew

Has to be the adapter.

"Larz F. Kremer" <lkremer@starpower.net> wrote in message
> I've just recently received a Dell Inspiron 8600, after having had an 8100
> for several years. During that time I used my Epson Stylus Color 880 with
> its typical printer cable and port.
> The newer 8600's don't have printer ports, but only USB ports, so I bought
> an adaptor cable on Ebay that I thought was going to allow me to hook up
> between the printer and the 8600's USB port. I've set the printer up
> several times with the USB cable, and each time the printer just hangs,
> the
> printjobs just not printing. Could it be that the Stylus 880 is just not
> compatible with the Inspiron 8600 and USB adaptor cables? Supposedly the
> cable is plug and play with Win XP, which I have, so I don't need drivers,
> but it just won't work. Perhaps I should buy another brand such as
> Belkin,
> or do I need to install things in a certain order?
> Thanks for any help on this!
> Larz

Someone at work had the same problem, I think he solved it by getting
another brand with different drivers and the adapter worked. You might
try a Belkin, just ask if you can bring it back if it doesn't work.

Larz F. Kremer wrote:

> I've just recently received a Dell Inspiron 8600, after having had an 8100
> for several years. During that time I used my Epson Stylus Color 880 with
its typical printer cable and port.
The newer 8600's don't have printer ports, but only USB ports, so I bought
> an adaptor cable on Ebay that I thought was going to allow me to hook up
> between the printer and the 8600's USB port. I've set the printer up
> several times with the USB cable, and each time the printer just hangs, the
> printjobs just not printing. Could it be that the Stylus 880 is just not
> compatible with the Inspiron 8600 and USB adaptor cables? Supposedly the
> cable is plug and play with Win XP, which I have, so I don't need drivers,
> but it just won't work. Perhaps I should buy another brand such as Belkin,
> or do I need to install things in a certain order?
> Thanks for any help on this!
> Larz

TRENDING THREADS