Quota setup on network?

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Hi,
Here is one for the administrators. :smile:
I am interested in ideas and suggestions on the best/ most efficient way to set up a file server hard drive for a home network with 3 Pc's and 6 logon users. I want to allocate storage space for each user profile and a read only library of files such as movies and programs etc that is accessed for editing by administrators only. I am using Windows XP pro SP1 on all systems in this network.

I have just purchased a Western digital 120 GB hard drive for storage, I was thinking of installing it in System 1 and linking the other two PC's user "shared folders" to it and/or sharing the drive over the home network.
At present I place downloads and movies/music into the other users shared files over the network, this is the best way I can think of right now. System 2 & 3 are for the 4 kids and friends for surfing and games, system 1 is my baby which is usually left on most of the day doing UD cure for cancer and a few hours of School work and is usually on when the other systems are on.

Usually the kids are at school so really they use the pc's for an hour in the morning and up to 5 hours after school.
Right now its school hol's for another 5 days so they are running red hot.

As I have mentioned above I have a 120gb hard drive that now has 2 partitions, the first partition is 63GB NTFS that allows the disk space quota feature tab in properties and can be seen with O/S's using fat32 across the network.

What I need to know now is; do I need to have a server setup for one set of logon accounts over the whole network or am I stuck with a set for each pc?

I have three main PC's on ICS mostly independent of each other accept for some file/folder sharing through a router/hub, I am trying to have up to 6 logon accounts which are universally recognised on all systems on the home network. This is particularly useful to retain settings and logon preferences as the user moves between the pc's.

I am also trying very hard to work out how to get user accounts as mentioned above with disk space quota of say 8GB for each user recognised from the other systems. I know how to allocate it to users as the procedure is easy enough to follow but I cannot see the other user’s accounts on the other systems from within the setup window and therefore can not allocate the disk space.. This is why I am thinking a universal home network logon.

Wow, I just confused myself; can anyone point me in the right direction so I can make a start by reading the right help files etc, please?

A related question that I have is how do I lock the operating system partition so the kids (not Admin)cannot alter anything or save anything to it on each system?

Thanks again.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 09/30/02 09:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok, everything you want to do is easy :)

Snag is, you really need 2kserver rather than xp for the type of network you want, i.e. roaming profiles for the 6 accounts on 2 pc's. I have a similar setup, 2k server on which all the user profiles,desktops,docs etc are stored, depending on who logs on to a workstation depends on what rights they have, i.e. if its my 5 yr old neice, she cant do ANYTHING apart from use preinstalled programs and go on the net, cant even change background color!, it IS possible to setup a workgroup to meet your needs, but all the "facilities" you want arnt possible on a peer to peer (i.e. without a server) network.

FYI you can access ntfs over the network as well as fat32, ntfs cant be accessed LOCALLY from anything other than nt/2k/xp. In order to setup disk quotas, you need ntfs on the server, if you get 2k server, post back and I'll talk ya through it all.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Thanks Calv, long time since I have seen you around?

Hows the watercooling going?

Anyway, I will see if I can find W2k server, can this be used in unison with XP pro?

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ello ello, didnt realise it was you, didnt read the name!, I've been off work for ages, lot of shite going on in my life just now, some of which is on my homepage.

how do you mean "in unison"?

Watercooling gone :( Moved all my pc's upstairs a few weeks ago, back on fans just now.

re:2k server - what speed conenction do you have? can probably sort that out for ya ;)

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
I changed my name from Scotty3303 to Scotty35.heh.
Anyway, I am so sorry to hear of your terrible loss, my sympathy to you and your family.

I have ADSL 512 down 128 up.

Unison meaning I dont really know.lol

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 09/30/02 10:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Thanks.

erm I cant post my email addy here as my fuckyou.uk mail is now gone. If you mail me from my site, I'll sort u out a login to my ftp, its not too fast just now as I'm only on a 512/256 connex myself, cant get back up to 1 meg till end of october but I run 24/7 so no probs there, anyways, drop me a mail and I'll sort u summat out unless you can grab it from somewhere else faster.

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Ok I have burned 4 separate copies of that file which none work as required, I must be doing it wrong?

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
you burnt direct from the iso? not from the extracted files? and your pc is set to boot from cd in bios?

(sorry it took me so long to get back, been major busy this morning (@ work))