bernard

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Help,

I am attempting to activate a Windows XP system that was installed with a
non-recognized license key. An license was purchased and attempted to use
article ID 322960 to fix a problem with the system not showing a System
Indentification Number. The system is showing only dashes. I am afraid to
use the new CD that came with the license key that was purchase. I am not
sure if I do the repair installation process that is will delete any programs
located on the system hard drive.

Do anyone know if this process will delete the programs and files located on
the system or do you know of a way to get the system activated. The
automated line will not let you do anything unless you have the numbers from
the System Identification box of the Activation prompt box.

Bernard
UofM

Bernard;
A Repair Installation leaves data and settings intact.
Back-up important data just in case.
Use the new CD and new key:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Bernard" <Bernard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help,
>
> I am attempting to activate a Windows XP system that was installed with a
> non-recognized license key. An license was purchased and attempted to use
> article ID 322960 to fix a problem with the system not showing a System
> Indentification Number. The system is showing only dashes. I am afraid
> use the new CD that came with the license key that was purchase. I am not
> sure if I do the repair installation process that is will delete any
> programs
> located on the system hard drive.
>
> Do anyone know if this process will delete the programs and files located
> on
> the system or do you know of a way to get the system activated. The
> automated line will not let you do anything unless you have the numbers
> from
> the System Identification box of the Activation prompt box.
>
> Bernard
> UofM

bernard

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Thanks,

I will give it a try.

Bernard

ResNet
University Of Memphis
www.memphis.edu/resnet
--
Bernard

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Bernard;
> A Repair Installation leaves data and settings intact.
> Back-up important data just in case.
> Use the new CD and new key:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Bernard" <Bernard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Help,
> >
> > I am attempting to activate a Windows XP system that was installed with a
> > non-recognized license key. An license was purchased and attempted to use
> > article ID 322960 to fix a problem with the system not showing a System
> > Indentification Number. The system is showing only dashes. I am afraid
> > use the new CD that came with the license key that was purchase. I am not
> > sure if I do the repair installation process that is will delete any
> > programs
> > located on the system hard drive.
> >
> > Do anyone know if this process will delete the programs and files located
> > on
> > the system or do you know of a way to get the system activated. The
> > automated line will not let you do anything unless you have the numbers
> > from
> > the System Identification box of the Activation prompt box.
> >
> > Bernard
> > UofM

Sorry to step in here. I had a client with the same issue. Bernard just out of curiosity do you have a file named Rest5 in C:\Windows\System32

I was able to activate my clients system with his newly purchased XP license by removing that file and rebooting. The Activation went smooth after when on the Activation window I selected Rest Key and entered the new legal key.

Just a thought that maybe you are able to do same .

If not then Ramesh has the correct answer for you

--
Peter