Sign in with
Your question

Need a good CPU Fan

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2004 4:34:42 PM

I need suggestions for a quiet CPU fan. The stock fan that came with the 2.6C 800FSB is a small jet engine. I am sick of it. I looked at Zalman, etc. Can anyone suggest a "QUIET" CPU Fan for me? Thanks.

More about : good cpu fan

January 30, 2004 4:52:12 PM

get water cooling, it is MUCH better than old-skool air cooling...costs alot tho :D 

I am a small fat ginger kid and I lob cow pats at old people, please be my friend
January 30, 2004 6:30:47 PM

That load. I can't hear my 2.4C. Just the 5 case fans.
Related resources
January 30, 2004 6:52:22 PM

I disconnected all fans except for the CPU fan and almost all of the sound is from it. There is no doubt. I could leave all fans on and disconnect the CPU fan for a few seconds to test the other way but don't want to fry the CPU.
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2004 12:04:26 AM

Consider the Zalman CNPS 7000A AlCu.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 31, 2004 2:21:31 AM

Noise level on my new puter is about the same as old one. That was 500Mhz Athlon 1 case fan.
January 31, 2004 4:26:21 AM

Zalman. Worth every penny.
February 2, 2004 3:54:40 PM

What is difference between Zalman CNPS 7000A Cu and CNPS7000A-AlCu, besides one has Aluminum+Copper while the other one is copper only. Which is better? Newegg has both and the one that is Copper only is about $7 higher. Also, anyone installed this on Abit IS7? Compatible? Thanks.
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2004 4:08:07 PM

The only test I've seen that compared the two showed the Aluminum one works better. But "hard core overclockers" still insist on the copper one because they say pure copper is better regardless of testing (lol). Zalman would like to sell you the pure copper one of course because it cost more. But like I said, the only review I've seen that compared them showed cooler temperatures on the AlCu.

It's also a lighter cooler, less likely to damage the board if you accidently drop your computer.

I talked to a forum member that installed one on his IS7, it fits.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 2, 2004 4:16:58 PM

Thanks. I will get the one with Aluminum.

What is this small blue fan on ABit IS7 next to the CPU? That thing is pretty noisy too (silent compared to the stock CPU Fan). Last time I looked in Bios, its RPM was about 6200.
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2004 9:16:02 PM

It's the chipset northbridge cooler. It really doesn't need to be that powerfull, but unless you want to add a fan controller or something I don't think you can do much about the noise.

February 3, 2004 12:06:52 AM

May be I could try the Zalman fanmate and slow it down. I will check that option after replacing the CPU heatsink and fan.
February 5, 2004 12:16:23 AM

I removed the stock heatsink and fan. Installed the Zalman heatsink & fan.

I booted up and.....

"CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck CPU soft menu"

What happened? Did I fry the CPU?
February 5, 2004 1:29:05 AM

one question. thermal paste? did it apply the theremal paste between the CPU and the heatsink?
did you whipe off thermal paste left over by the previous heatsink?

A fine day!
February 5, 2004 1:30:02 AM

hope u didn't apply too much force while installing the new heatsink.......

A fine day!
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2004 1:46:34 AM

Nope, it's a generic message that means your computer failed to boot once. That could have been caused by anything, even hitting the reset button at the wrong time.

February 5, 2004 11:17:43 AM

You were right...kind of. I had to hit F1 to proceed. I am able to use the PC. But I have to hit F1 everytime I boot up. How do I get rid off that? By the way I did apply the thermal paste. And I didn't wipe off the previous one as there wasn't much of it on the CPU. The fan is less noisy but not silent.
February 5, 2004 6:47:01 PM

There aren't any silent fans. Just quiet ones. Once you are up & running problem free, check your temps. The fan speed can be reduced thus even making it quieter.
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2004 9:58:23 PM

Go into BIOS and reset default values, save and reboot.

That should clear the message, then if you want to make any changes in BIOS do them now.

!