Has the Hibernation problem for computers with a large RAM..

Dear friends:

Has the Hibernation problem for computers with a large RAM (more than
1 GB) been solved?

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330909

At least it has a date from August 2005.

Any hint?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Hello Juan,

The "resolution" part of the KB directs us to install SP2 or to get the hotfix which is easily
downloadable. I assume this problem might have been fixed with SP2.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Juan I. Cahis" <jiclbch@SINBASURAattglobal.net> wrote in message
Dear friends:

Has the Hibernation problem for computers with a large RAM (more than
1 GB) been solved?

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330909

At least it has a date from August 2005.

Any hint?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

It seems to be very user software dependent and memory fragmentation is
the suggested cause. If your system continues to break you could try
hibernating earlier after a reboot, and re-evaluate the software in use.

Juan I. Cahis wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> Has the Hibernation problem for computers with a large RAM (more than
> 1 GB) been solved?
>
> See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330909
>
> At least it has a date from August 2005.
>
> Any hint?
>
> Thanks
> Juan I. Cahis
> Santiago de Chile (South America)
> Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Thanks, Bob, but I don't understand why my computer didn't have any
problem when it had 768 MB of memory only, and I was using the same
software.

Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>It seems to be very user software dependent and memory fragmentation is
>the suggested cause. If your system continues to break you could try
>hibernating earlier after a reboot, and re-evaluate the software in use.
>
>Juan I. Cahis wrote:
>
>> Dear friends:
>>
>> Has the Hibernation problem for computers with a large RAM (more than
>> 1 GB) been solved?
>>
>> See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330909
>>
>> At least it has a date from August 2005.
>>
>> Any hint?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Juan I. Cahis
>> Santiago de Chile (South America)
>> Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!
Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Will try simple explanation. Windows will attempt to use all the memory
you provide to increase "productivity" (caching harddrive reads,
software requests etc.) Now the contents of memory blocks at hibernate
time are recorded, sorted and stored to disk. Supposition: If the memory
is fragmented in to more blocks than the tables can handle, hibernation
fails. More memory, more potential fragmentation, more blocks to record,
over the limit more often, failure occurs. So if you "hibernate"
earlier, the number of blocks is below the threshold. Some software may
make more memory accesses and create more blocks, with less memory
available then memory is released and fewer blocks for that program. So
it boils down to having enough memory available to create the problem,
and then "busting it up" to cause the failure. Hope this helps the
understanding.