Questions about NTFS partitions

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion a815n desktop PC with Win XP Home. Recently I noticed
that Sound Recorder and calculator are missing. I tried researching HP
website but without any luck on how to restore the missing things. The only
way I know is to restore them is by installing XP again because I tried using
Software restore CD that came with the PC but no luck.

I have one hard drive that is divided in 3 NTFS partitions. One of which
has OS and other two partitions are data drives. If I try to format system
partition in order to reinstall OS, will my other two data partitions remain
intact?

Thanks for yours advice and time,

Joe
7 answers Last reply
More about questions ntfs partitions

    Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Components. All the files needed are already on your hard disk.

    As for re-formatting, this depends on the method used by HP. I would suspect that it will just reformat the system partition and leave the other two intact. This would go along with the strategy of a Recovery Partition.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1D21FF2-E0FB-41AF-BA27-EC43197B7568@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an HP Pavilion a815n desktop PC with Win XP Home. Recently I noticed
    > that Sound Recorder and calculator are missing. I tried researching HP
    > website but without any luck on how to restore the missing things. The only
    > way I know is to restore them is by installing XP again because I tried using
    > Software restore CD that came with the PC but no luck.
    >
    > I have one hard drive that is divided in 3 NTFS partitions. One of which
    > has OS and other two partitions are data drives. If I try to format system
    > partition in order to reinstall OS, will my other two data partitions remain
    > intact?
    >
    > Thanks for yours advice and time,
    >
    > Joe

    Hello Joe,

    There is no need to re-install Windows XP just to get access to calculator and sound recorder.
    Create new shortcuts pointing to:

    C:\windows\system32\calc.exe --for Calculator
    C:\windows\system32\sndrec32.exe -- for Sound recorder

    Hope this helps.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an HP Pavilion a815n desktop PC with Win XP Home. Recently I noticed
    > that Sound Recorder and calculator are missing. I tried researching HP
    > website but without any luck on how to restore the missing things. The only
    > way I know is to restore them is by installing XP again because I tried using
    > Software restore CD that came with the PC but no luck.
    >
    > I have one hard drive that is divided in 3 NTFS partitions. One of which
    > has OS and other two partitions are data drives. If I try to format system
    > partition in order to reinstall OS, will my other two data partitions remain
    > intact?
    >
    > Thanks for yours advice and time,
    >
    > Joe

    I was hoping that by creating new shortcuts I will be able to solve the
    problem but the files calc.exe and sndrec32.exe don’t come up in search for
    files. When I was removing the unwanted bundled software that came with the
    HP desktop, I think something must have happened to these programs. I don’t
    know what caused their disappearance.

    I tried installing Calculator and Sound Recorder through Windows Add/Remove
    programs feature, but it didn’t work.

    I am little afraid of using the system restore /reinstall disk because I
    wasn’t sure it will format my 2 data drives also or not. This is why I
    thought it’s best get some advice.

    Joe

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > Hello Joe,
    >
    > There is no need to re-install Windows XP just to get access to calculator and sound recorder.
    > Create new shortcuts pointing to:
    >
    > C:\windows\system32\calc.exe --for Calculator
    > C:\windows\system32\sndrec32.exe -- for Sound recorder
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >

    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have an HP Pavilion a815n desktop PC with Win XP Home. Recently I noticed
    > > that Sound Recorder and calculator are missing. I tried researching HP
    > > website but without any luck on how to restore the missing things. The only
    > > way I know is to restore them is by installing XP again because I tried using
    > > Software restore CD that came with the PC but no luck.
    > >
    > > I have one hard drive that is divided in 3 NTFS partitions. One of which
    > > has OS and other two partitions are data drives. If I try to format system
    > > partition in order to reinstall OS, will my other two data partitions remain
    > > intact?
    > >
    > > Thanks for yours advice and time,
    > >
    > > Joe

    If the data drives are something you added afterwards by partitioning the
    drive, they are vulnerable if you use the HP restore, as it may be set to
    change everything back to the way it was originally, including any
    partitioning done. If the data drives are actually separate drives, you can
    simply disconnect them, and the HP software can't touch them. It shouldn't
    anyway, if they are separate drives, but it doesn't hurt to be a little
    extra cautious when you're using that sort of software.

    Joe wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an HP Pavilion a815n desktop PC with Win XP Home. Recently I noticed
    > that Sound Recorder and calculator are missing. I tried researching HP
    > website but without any luck on how to restore the missing things. The only
    > way I know is to restore them is by installing XP again because I tried using
    > Software restore CD that came with the PC but no luck.
    >
    > I have one hard drive that is divided in 3 NTFS partitions. One of which
    > has OS and other two partitions are data drives. If I try to format system
    > partition in order to reinstall OS, will my other two data partitions remain
    > intact?

    Yes but why would you reformat to install the OS? You should be able to
    reinstall the OS over itself, no formatting needed. If you need the
    calculator you can ad that thru the WIndows Add/Remove programs feature
    and I THINK the same goes for the sound recorder, assuming it isn't from
    a 3rd party vendor.

    --
    Servo @ work
    God Bless Our Troops!

    I tried installing Calculator and Sound Recorder through Windows Add/Remove
    programs feature, but it didn’t work. For some strange reason, it didn’t
    work.

    I am referring to Windows Sound Recorder.

    Joe

    Joe wrote:
    > I tried installing Calculator and Sound Recorder through Windows Add/Remove
    > programs feature, but it didn't work. For some strange reason, it didn't
    > work.
    >
    > I am referring to Windows Sound Recorder.
    >
    > Joe

    Check Anando's response...see if the files are in the system folder.
    --
    Servo @ work
    God Bless Our Troops!
    "Giggity, Giggity!"
    Proud member of PETA-People Eating Tasty Animals
    tservo100 at
    ameritech dot net
    Slow, fiery death to all spammers!!!

Windows XP