XP Home "Beep Beeps" Then Freezes

September 9, 2005 9:08:39 PM

Just in the last couple of weeks, a machine on our office lan has started
acting up. All machines (4 in number) are eMachines running XP Home. The
problem machine contains the files for the medical office s/w. Sometime
during the day, the system will 'beep' beep" then the screen saver will
freeze or the display will go blank. The funny thing is, the frontdesk
machine will continue working (accessing the database on the problem
machine). However, as soon as someone touches a key or moves the mouse on
the problem machine, it reboots and indicates that it has recovered from a
serious error.

So far I have done the following:

All macines have up to date software patches.
I have run SpyBot & Ad-Aware: no problems found.
Norton AV is up to date: no problems in scan.
I have run sfc /scannow: No problems.
I have disabled the 'sleep' (i.e. standby capability)
I have power options set to 'always on'

Does anyone have any ideas? These machines are only a few months old and
have been working perfectly until recently.

Dick
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 9:08:40 PM

"Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Just in the last couple of weeks, a machine on our office lan has started
> acting up. All machines (4 in number) are eMachines running XP Home. The
> problem machine contains the files for the medical office s/w. Sometime
> during the day, the system will 'beep' beep" then the screen saver will
> freeze or the display will go blank. The funny thing is, the frontdesk
> machine will continue working (accessing the database on the problem
> machine). However, as soon as someone touches a key or moves the mouse on
> the problem machine, it reboots and indicates that it has recovered from a
> serious error.
>
> So far I have done the following:
>
> All macines have up to date software patches.
> I have run SpyBot & Ad-Aware: no problems found.
> Norton AV is up to date: no problems in scan.
> I have run sfc /scannow: No problems.
> I have disabled the 'sleep' (i.e. standby capability)
> I have power options set to 'always on'
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? These machines are only a few months old and
> have been working perfectly until recently.
>
> Dick

Check the event viewer to see if anything is recorded at the time of the
lockup/reboot. This sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't recall exactly what
was going on.

Normally I'd say it's a hardware problem, but maybe not this time.

If it is hardware-related, it might be time to see how good that e-machines
technical support and warranty are. Make sure you've got backups of
everything you need that's on the computer, because there's a good chance
they will tell you to use their recovery CDs to send you back to the
beginning.
September 9, 2005 9:08:41 PM

D.Currie wrote:

> "Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Just in the last couple of weeks, a machine on our office lan has
>> started
>> acting up. All machines (4 in number) are eMachines running XP Home.
>> The
>> problem machine contains the files for the medical office s/w.
>> Sometime during the day, the system will 'beep' beep" then the screen
>> saver will
>> freeze or the display will go blank. The funny thing is, the
>> frontdesk
>> machine will continue working (accessing the database on the problem
>> machine). However, as soon as someone touches a key or moves the
>> mouse on the problem machine, it reboots and indicates that it has
>> recovered from a serious error.
>>
>> So far I have done the following:
>>
>> All macines have up to date software patches.
>> I have run SpyBot & Ad-Aware: no problems found.
>> Norton AV is up to date: no problems in scan.
>> I have run sfc /scannow: No problems.
>> I have disabled the 'sleep' (i.e. standby capability)
>> I have power options set to 'always on'
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas? These machines are only a few months old
>> and have been working perfectly until recently.
>>
>> Dick
>>

> Check the event viewer to see if anything is recorded at the time of
> the lockup/reboot. This sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't recall
> exactly what was going on.
>
> Normally I'd say it's a hardware problem, but maybe not this time.
>
> If it is hardware-related, it might be time to see how good that
> e-machines technical support and warranty are. Make sure you've got
> backups of everything you need that's on the computer, because there's
> a good chance they will tell you to use their recovery CDs to send you
> back to the beginning.

Test the RAM. eMachines are not particularly good computers and I've had
several belonging to a client where the machines would just freeze up
and it was the RAM. An eMachine would not be my first choice for an
office and certainly not for a database server.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Yes .. my first impression was RAM ...also, has the OP done a DEFRAG I
wonder?, but first, has he cleaned out the cache and temp files? "beep
beep" usually means too much going on for the system to think. At least
it's not in POST.

> D.Currie wrote:
>

>> "Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Just in the last couple of weeks, a machine on our office lan has
>>> started
>>> acting up. All machines (4 in number) are eMachines running XP Home.
>>> The
>>> problem machine contains the files for the medical office s/w.
>>> Sometime during the day, the system will 'beep' beep" then the screen
>>> saver will
>>> freeze or the display will go blank. The funny thing is, the
>>> frontdesk
>>> machine will continue working (accessing the database on the problem
>>> machine). However, as soon as someone touches a key or moves the
>>> mouse on the problem machine, it reboots and indicates that it has
>>> recovered from a serious error.
>>>
>>> So far I have done the following:
>>>
>>> All macines have up to date software patches.
>>> I have run SpyBot & Ad-Aware: no problems found.
>>> Norton AV is up to date: no problems in scan.
>>> I have run sfc /scannow: No problems.
>>> I have disabled the 'sleep' (i.e. standby capability)
>>> I have power options set to 'always on'
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas? These machines are only a few months old
>>> and have been working perfectly until recently.
>>>
>>> Dick
>>>

>> Check the event viewer to see if anything is recorded at the time of
>> the lockup/reboot. This sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't recall
>> exactly what was going on.
>>
>> Normally I'd say it's a hardware problem, but maybe not this time.
>>
>> If it is hardware-related, it might be time to see how good that
>> e-machines technical support and warranty are. Make sure you've got
>> backups of everything you need that's on the computer, because there's
>> a good chance they will tell you to use their recovery CDs to send you
>> back to the beginning.
>
> Test the RAM. eMachines are not particularly good computers and I've had
> several belonging to a client where the machines would just freeze up
> and it was the RAM. An eMachine would not be my first choice for an
> office and certainly not for a database server.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 9:41:03 PM

hello

Try replacing the 2032 battery inside the computer on the motherboard.

Bob F

"Dick Sutton" wrote:

> Just in the last couple of weeks, a machine on our office lan has started
> acting up. All machines (4 in number) are eMachines running XP Home. The
> problem machine contains the files for the medical office s/w. Sometime
> during the day, the system will 'beep' beep" then the screen saver will
> freeze or the display will go blank. The funny thing is, the frontdesk
> machine will continue working (accessing the database on the problem
> machine). However, as soon as someone touches a key or moves the mouse on
> the problem machine, it reboots and indicates that it has recovered from a
> serious error.
>
> So far I have done the following:
>
> All macines have up to date software patches.
> I have run SpyBot & Ad-Aware: no problems found.
> Norton AV is up to date: no problems in scan.
> I have run sfc /scannow: No problems.
> I have disabled the 'sleep' (i.e. standby capability)
> I have power options set to 'always on'
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? These machines are only a few months old and
> have been working perfectly until recently.
>
> Dick

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 12:25:42 AM

Pentium,

I haven't done a defrag in about 2 months (I'll do that this weekend). I do
clean out the temp files every week.

I haven't cleaned the cache. How do I do that?

Dick

"Pentium" <pent@anycomp.info> wrote in message
> Yes .. my first impression was RAM ...also, has the OP done a DEFRAG I
> wonder?, but first, has he cleaned out the cache and temp files? "beep
> beep" usually means too much going on for the system to think. At least
> it's not in POST.
>
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> D.Currie wrote:
>>

>>> "Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Check the event viewer to see if anything is recorded at the time of
>>> the lockup/reboot. This sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't recall
>>> exactly what was going on.
>>>
>>> Normally I'd say it's a hardware problem, but maybe not this time.
>>>
>>> If it is hardware-related, it might be time to see how good that
>>> e-machines technical support and warranty are. Make sure you've got
>>> backups of everything you need that's on the computer, because there's
>>> a good chance they will tell you to use their recovery CDs to send you
>>> back to the beginning.
>>
>> Test the RAM. eMachines are not particularly good computers and I've had
>> several belonging to a client where the machines would just freeze up
>> and it was the RAM. An eMachine would not be my first choice for an
>> office and certainly not for a database server.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 1:11:38 AM

Thanks to all who have responded. I'll be working on this this weekend.
I'll post an update.

Thanks again...

Dick

"freebob" <freebob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello
>
> Try replacing the 2032 battery inside the computer on the motherboard.
>
> Bob F
>
> "Dick Sutton" wrote:
>
>> Just in the last couple of weeks, a machine on our office lan has started
>> acting up. All machines (4 in number) are eMachines running XP Home.
>> The
>> problem machine contains the files for the medical office s/w. Sometime
>> during the day, the system will 'beep' beep" then the screen saver will
>> freeze or the display will go blank. The funny thing is, the frontdesk
>> machine will continue working (accessing the database on the problem
>> machine). However, as soon as someone touches a key or moves the mouse
>> on
>> the problem machine, it reboots and indicates that it has recovered from
>> serious error.
>>
>> So far I have done the following:
>>
>> All macines have up to date software patches.
>> I have run SpyBot & Ad-Aware: no problems found.
>> Norton AV is up to date: no problems in scan.
>> I have run sfc /scannow: No problems.
>> I have disabled the 'sleep' (i.e. standby capability)
>> I have power options set to 'always on'
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas? These machines are only a few months old and
>> have been working perfectly until recently.
>>
>> Dick

September 10, 2005 1:18:19 AM

Dick Sutton wrote:
> Just in the last couple of weeks, a machine on our office lan has started
> acting up. All machines (4 in number) are eMachines running XP Home. The
> problem machine contains the files for the medical office s/w. Sometime
> during the day, the system will 'beep' beep" then the screen saver will
> freeze or the display will go blank. The funny thing is, the frontdesk
> machine will continue working (accessing the database on the problem
> machine). However, as soon as someone touches a key or moves the mouse on
> the problem machine, it reboots and indicates that it has recovered from a
> serious error.
>
> So far I have done the following:
>
> All macines have up to date software patches.
> I have run SpyBot & Ad-Aware: no problems found.
> Norton AV is up to date: no problems in scan.
> I have run sfc /scannow: No problems.
> I have disabled the 'sleep' (i.e. standby capability)
> I have power options set to 'always on'
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? These machines are only a few months old and
> have been working perfectly until recently.
>
> Dick

Dick,
I'm thinking that those 2 beeps seem to have something to do with the
video card. Try booting in safe mode, open the control panel and see if
there're any warnings on your video card. If not reboot and disable your
screensaver and see if the problem persists.

--
Servo @ work
God Bless Our Troops!

Servo,
No warnings on the video card. I will try the screensaver, but it is the
standard Microsoft 'flowers' screen saver.

Thanks for the input.

Dick

"Servo" <SPAMMERS@getcancer.nuts.anddie> wrote in message
> Dick Sutton wrote:
>> Just in the last couple of weeks, a machine on our office lan has started
>> acting up. All machines (4 in number) are eMachines running XP Home.
>> The problem machine contains the files for the medical office s/w.
>> Sometime during the day, the system will 'beep' beep" then the screen
>> saver will freeze or the display will go blank. The funny thing is, the
>> frontdesk machine will continue working (accessing the database on the
>> problem machine). However, as soon as someone touches a key or moves the
>> mouse on the problem machine, it reboots and indicates that it has
>> recovered from a serious error.
>>
>> So far I have done the following:
>>
>> All macines have up to date software patches.
>> I have run SpyBot & Ad-Aware: no problems found.
>> Norton AV is up to date: no problems in scan.
>> I have run sfc /scannow: No problems.
>> I have disabled the 'sleep' (i.e. standby capability)
>> I have power options set to 'always on'
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas? These machines are only a few months old and
>> have been working perfectly until recently.
>>
>> Dick
>
> Dick,
> I'm thinking that those 2 beeps seem to have something to do with the
> video card. Try booting in safe mode, open the control panel and see if
> there're any warnings on your video card. If not reboot and disable your
> screensaver and see if the problem persists.
>

> --
> Servo @ work
> God Bless Our Troops!
> "Giggity, Giggity!"
> Proud member of PETA-People Eating Tasty Animals
> tservo100 at
> ameritech dot net
> Slow, fiery death to all spammers!!!
September 10, 2005 3:50:50 AM

Without reading through this entire thread:

I have seen this on many systems brought it here for AOL users. If this
isn't the case:

Use one of these three options.

Right Click the My Computer Icon/Properties/Advanced/
Performance/Settings/Advanced/Change.

1. Set Page File to 0, ok your way out and reboot. Then follow the same
procedure and reset the Page File to System Managed File.

2. No Page File. Reboot. Then delete C:\Pagefile.Sys then revert the page
file setting.

3. Set the swap file size to zero, reboot. Re-set to System Managed,
reboot. Reset the Custom setting, reboot.

You Receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" Message After
Every Restart
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q317277

Windows XP Problems if Your Profile Is Damaged
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q326688

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

"Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Just in the last couple of weeks, a machine on our office lan has started
> acting up. All machines (4 in number) are eMachines running XP Home. The
> problem machine contains the files for the medical office s/w. Sometime
> during the day, the system will 'beep' beep" then the screen saver will
> freeze or the display will go blank. The funny thing is, the frontdesk
> machine will continue working (accessing the database on the problem
> machine). However, as soon as someone touches a key or moves the mouse on
> the problem machine, it reboots and indicates that it has recovered from a
> serious error.
>
> So far I have done the following:
>
> All macines have up to date software patches.
> I have run SpyBot & Ad-Aware: no problems found.
> Norton AV is up to date: no problems in scan.
> I have run sfc /scannow: No problems.
> I have disabled the 'sleep' (i.e. standby capability)
> I have power options set to 'always on'
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? These machines are only a few months old and
> have been working perfectly until recently.
>
> Dick

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 7:08:10 PM

> CWaters,
> I'm thinking that it may be heat, too. I'll try some extra cooling this
> weekend and see if it still randomly fails.

I found the fan on my CPU looked ok but if you looked carefully the heatsink
fins below it were full of dust and blocked. Hard to see without a torch as
both dust and aluminium are a similar colour :-)
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 7:17:27 PM

Thanks Kelly,

I'll be working on this issue this afternoon and will follow your advice.
I'll post back my results.

Thanks again...

Dick

!