Dell vs. HP: The Distributor vs. The Innovator

Alan S. Wales wrote:
<Link to NY Times article comparing Dell and HP's business models,
especially in the printer area, deleted>

As an "involuntary alumnus" of HP, all I can say is that there has
recently been much discussion on the HP alumni newsgroups about Carly
Fiorina and HP and HP's failure to come out with any really innovative
products recently.

The general consensus was that the inkjet printer, introduced some 15
years ago, was possibly the last really innovative product to come out
of HP, although some people held out for HP's Palmtop computer, a
predecessor of the handheld/PDA market. Unfortunately, HP pretty much
totally botched the marketing and positioning of that product. (Do
*you* remember that the product ever existed?)

HP's been pretty much coasting on the revenues from inkjet products for
the last few years.

As far as being innovative, the most innovative thing Carly could think
of to do with $25 billion (I think that was the original amount, but I
think the final amount was more like $19 billion in stock) was to buy
Compaq.

Bob Pownall