Gottlieb Dragonette - worth owning?

Have an opportunity to buy a Dragonette in *very* nice original
condition. Is it worth it to shell out the dough? Would appreciate some
opinions. Thanks.

pr

how much?

Ctsteps5

owner of
71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.

Moderator of EM Pinball Group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/

Well it wasn't so much a question of money/value more a question as to
enjoyment. It ain't cheap that's for sure but I was wondering if it's
just plain worth having regardless of the money.

Thought I should have a wood rail to expand the collection but I don't
just want a pretty piece of furniture.

pr

ctsteps5 wrote:
> how much?
>
> Ctsteps5
>
> owner of
> 71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
> 74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.
>
> Moderator of EM Pinball Group
> http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

Trivia - Jack Lemmon plays one while he's gabbing with Walter Mathau in
"The Odd Couple".

This is the very old type of EM where the games go REALLY fast (with
four ball holes that don't give you the ball back!) but the rewards
make up for it with replays from specials, points, score etc. I
imagine you spend as much time worrying about KEEPING the ball from
doing things (going in the holes too early) than from doing things.
How much is the one you have a beeline on?

Frenchy

VERY sought after game. Not too many
out and about to play, so it's pretty hard
to give an opinion on that..... :(

I've never seen or played it myself.

--
Fred
TX

"pr" <ringmaster1@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:1123432778.946389.222530@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Have an opportunity to buy a Dragonette in *very* nice original
> condition. Is it worth it to shell out the dough? Would appreciate some
> opinions. Thanks.
>
> pr

$5k

pr

frenchy wrote:
> Trivia - Jack Lemmon plays one while he's gabbing with Walter Mathau in
> "The Odd Couple".
>
> This is the very old type of EM where the games go REALLY fast (with
> four ball holes that don't give you the ball back!) but the rewards
> make up for it with replays from specials, points, score etc. I
> imagine you spend as much time worrying about KEEPING the ball from
> doing things (going in the holes too early) than from doing things.
> How much is the one you have a beeline on?
>
> Frenchy

Thanks Fred. You're certainly right - not many out and about which is
the reason I asked. I haven't had any experience w/ this pin. I really
enjoy some of the wedgeheads (some even more than a "modern" pin) but
don't know if wood rails could keep my interest.

pr

Fred Kemper wrote:
> VERY sought after game. Not too many
> out and about to play, so it's pretty hard
> to give an opinion on that..... :(
>
> I've never seen or played it myself.
>
> --
> Fred
> TX
> CARGPB#8
> ******************
>

> "pr" <ringmaster1@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:1123432778.946389.222530@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > Have an opportunity to buy a Dragonette in *very* nice original
> > condition. Is it worth it to shell out the dough? Would appreciate some
> > opinions. Thanks.
> >
> > pr

I think Dragonette is a great player.

I really enjoy it.

My advice would be to grab it.

No, let me revise that.....if at all possible play it first for
several games...with a prior understanding of what the rules and
features are.

Woodrails are not blazing fast but most of the Gottlieb single players
from the 50s have excellent designs and are really fun.

If you decide you don't like it you should always be able to get your
money out of it if you don't outrageously overpay for it.

On 7 Aug 2005 09:39:38 -0700, "pr" <ringmaster1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Have an opportunity to buy a Dragonette in *very* nice original
>condition. Is it worth it to shell out the dough? Would appreciate some
>opinions. Thanks.
>
>pr

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

5k sounds pretty damn high to me too, it would have to still have the
fingerprints of all the Gottlieb factory people on the glass. Even
half that sounds too high for one in nice condition.

Definately a great game, but my opinion is that you have to
like EM play... quick, simple, yet very challenging...........

The design nature during the 50's had it that playfield layout
from one game to the next were drastically different, especially during
the trap hole era. the '60's was a great era, however designs became
somewhat repetitious, like return lanes, etc.

5K is the top end for this one, but I wouldn't call it
outrageous. A lot of the Gtbs. from '51 to '56 are going to command a
price not far from this. The spin-roto feature appeared on most
woodies from '57 on up, so, (IMO), the creativity with regard to
playfield design began to fade, these can be had for less $.

The price doesn't bother me much, Minstral Man and Knock Out have
garnered that kind of coin. The Dragonette is in extraordinary
condition. It has been in the hands of its owner for over 30 years.
Still it's not the dollar amount I'm trying to figure out it's whether
the pin is an enjoyable piece. If it cost a buck would I still want it
taking up valuable floor space? THAT'S what I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks for your opinion, Boatcat.

pr

Boatcat83@aol.com wrote:
> Definately a great game, but my opinion is that you have to
> like EM play... quick, simple, yet very challenging...........
>
> The design nature during the 50's had it that playfield layout
> from one game to the next were drastically different, especially during
> the trap hole era. the '60's was a great era, however designs became
> somewhat repetitious, like return lanes, etc.
>
> 5K is the top end for this one, but I wouldn't call it
> outrageous. A lot of the Gtbs. from '51 to '56 are going to command a
> price not far from this. The spin-roto feature appeared on most
> woodies from '57 on up, so, (IMO), the creativity with regard to
> playfield design began to fade, these can be had for less $.

>I'm trying to figure out it's whether the pin is an enjoyable piece

Played one (actually, fixed it) and wasn't a big fan of woodrails at
the time (damn youngsters), but it is very much worth owning. I missed
my chance for a FREE one from the same owner.

super sigh....

ANYWAY, the cool part of this game is that you HAVE to get the numbers
unlit in order. The trap holes only are worth anything if you fill up
the four that make up the diamond....you need all four. Tough on a 5
ball game.

This is also a game where you can put in more than one nickel to up the
ante on replays.

Is it worth $5k of play? Not for me.
Can you sell it for that later? tough call.

Kirb

BillB

offer a thousand and see if he sells.

--
billb http://www.themeatrix.com/
Every man has his price except the honest man. You get him for

<Boatcat83@aol.com> wrote in message
> Definately a great game, but my opinion is that you have to
> like EM play... quick, simple, yet very challenging...........
>
> The design nature during the 50's had it that playfield layout
> from one game to the next were drastically different, especially during
> the trap hole era. the '60's was a great era, however designs became
> somewhat repetitious, like return lanes, etc.
>
> 5K is the top end for this one, but I wouldn't call it
> outrageous. A lot of the Gtbs. from '51 to '56 are going to command a
> price not far from this. The spin-roto feature appeared on most
> woodies from '57 on up, so, (IMO), the creativity with regard to
> playfield design began to fade, these can be had for less $.

BillB

but it is very much worth owning. I missed

lots of things are worth owning. the question is the price.

--
billb http://www.themeatrix.com/
Every man has his price except the honest man. You get him for
nothing.IITYWYBAD
"

The question is really game room real estate. That is more valuable to
me right now than the money. I don't want a pretty piece of furniture.
Expensive or not it's still hogging up space. And the rooms are filling
up FAST.

Thank you all for your comments. I think I'll pass on the Dragonette
and instead go for the '39 Bally Alley!

pr

pr wrote:

> Have an opportunity to buy a Dragonette in *very* nice original
> condition. Is it worth it to shell out the dough? Would appreciate some
> opinions. Thanks.
>
> pr

No brainer! Buy it dummy. Why ask, another RGP jerkoff!