Ghosting Laptops

Has anyone had any experience ghosting laptops. I want to use one image for
several Compaq nc8000's. I thought I had an adapter that you could use to
slave a hard drive to a desktop computer and ghost that way, but the
connection was not right. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate
it very much.

Mike

Splendid

Art Vandolay wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience ghosting laptops. I want to use one image for
> several Compaq nc8000's. I thought I had an adapter that you could use to
> slave a hard drive to a desktop computer and ghost that way, but the
> connection was not right. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate
> it very much.

The optimal thing to do is have at least two partitions on each system.
Then you can copy the image to drive D and ghost it directly to drive C.
Makes backups easier cause you can just do it locally then reboot windows
to move the image elsewhere.
If you're not in a hurry, you can ghost over a parallel port directly
from DOS.
Of course, you can make a CD and ghost from there to the laptop hard drive.
If you regularly pop the drive out of your laptop, you're eventually gonna
wear something out...or bend a pin or break the cable or...
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
HP200LX 10MB + MODEM + LEATHER CASE

The easiest solution is a USB external drive. The next easiest (or close to
the same) is to ghost over a network. Also could do, as already suggested,
a ghost from CD or DVD.

Tom
"Art Vandolay" <art_vandolay@vandolayindustries.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone had any experience ghosting laptops. I want to use one image
for
> several Compaq nc8000's. I thought I had an adapter that you could use to
> slave a hard drive to a desktop computer and ghost that way, but the
> connection was not right. If anyone has any suggestions I would
appreciate
> it very much.

The third easiest is to have two 2.5"-to-3.5" drive adapters, and ghost the
images using a normal desktop computer... Ben Myers

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:25:52 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>The easiest solution is a USB external drive. The next easiest (or close to
>the same) is to ghost over a network. Also could do, as already suggested,
>a ghost from CD or DVD.
>
>Tom
>"Art Vandolay" <art_vandolay@vandolayindustries.net> wrote in message
>> Has anyone had any experience ghosting laptops. I want to use one image
>for
>> several Compaq nc8000's. I thought I had an adapter that you could use to
>> slave a hard drive to a desktop computer and ghost that way, but the
>> connection was not right. If anyone has any suggestions I would
>appreciate
>> it very much.

"Art Vandolay" <art_vandolay@vandolayindustries.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone had any experience ghosting laptops. I want to use one
image for
> several Compaq nc8000's. I thought I had an adapter that you could
use to
> slave a hard drive to a desktop computer and ghost that way, but the
> connection was not right. If anyone has any suggestions I would
appreciate
> it very much.

I've ghosted quite a few by means of using a TCP/IP boot disk with the
laptop and ghosting the drive from an image stored on a server on the
LAN.

--
Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your

TRENDING THREADS