Sign in with
Your question

Dual boot question

Last response: in Windows XP
September 30, 2002 2:16:05 PM

I'm going to be building a new box soon (2.4 P4; SIS648 motherboard, Ti4600, Audigy Platinum).

It's basically going to be used for everything (games mostly, followed by picture and movie editing, and various other applications) and after reading a bit I was thinking aboot seeting up a dual boot with Win98SE and XP.

Couple of questions
1) Is this a good (or even halfway decent) idea?

2) If I do this, what is the best way to do it (XP first then 98 or the other way around)

3) I'm probably going to have 100+ gigs of space so should I partition 2 drives just big enough for each OS, or add some padding (5-10 gig for each OS partition)

Thanks

Your using WHAT??? (quote from friend when I told him my PC specs)

More about : dual boot question

September 30, 2002 2:52:48 PM

ok, you can dual boot 98/xp easily, partition however you want, but the BOOT DRIVE must be fat32 as must the partition that you install 98 to.
Install 98 FIRST, and then XP, xp will ask you what partition to install to.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
October 2, 2002 1:56:06 AM

When you install XP, should you format its partition to NFTS or leave it Fat32. Also I read somewhere that 98 will not recognize XP. Does this mean that you can't save files over to XP, if you are currently using the 98 operating system or something else.
Thanks.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 2, 2002 11:33:36 AM

98 cannot see ntfs, so if you are dual booting 98/xp, any drives/partitions you want to access from both os's need to be fat32

October 2, 2002 1:01:09 PM

But can XP see FAT32??? What are the advantages / disadvantages of FAT32 compared to NTFS

Sorry, but I'm an absolute Noob when it comes to XP and dual boot.

I figure I want 98SE for the bulk of my old games and XP for newer stuff.

Your using WHAT??? (quote from friend when I told him my PC specs)
October 2, 2002 1:57:19 PM

Yes, XP can see both, as can 2000

Some may say fat32 is faster than ntfs, I've never seen this.
NTFS has a lot of features that fat doesnt, maily security wise, for example you can set a files attributes so that "jo bloggs" can read it but not change it, but "john smith" can change it, rename it, but not delete it or but "fred" can do wtf he wants with it.
ntfs also has file encryption and compression- a bit beyond the average users requirements.

!