WinXP Home - connect to other computers on home network?

I have one WinXP laptop - I can succesfuuly create a network place for it,
with my other computers (Win2K) on my home network (only using default
'WORKGROUP'

however, I've just bought a new computer, and added it to the network and
can't get it to be recognized within the workgroup....

Can someone point me to a page that tells me points to check, or at least
give me some hints - - I thought I knew what I was doing, but I'm no longer
sure...and can't remember how I did it for the laptop...

I have all the same protocols, etc chosen in the Network control panel (the
laptop and the new computer), however, the new computer can't see the other
computers and the other computers can't see the new one...

Help!
2 answers Last reply
More about winxp home connect computers home network

    More info - -
    the laptop is XP Pro

    The two other computers on the network are Win2K Pro....

    Is it at all possible to connect/see a WinXP Home computer in a local
    workgroup like this?

    In article <#PyXvGatFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Elmo Watson"
    <sputnik@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>I have one WinXP laptop - I can succesfuuly create a network place for it,
    >>with my other computers (Win2K) on my home network (only using default
    >>'WORKGROUP'
    >>
    >>however, I've just bought a new computer, and added it to the network and
    >>can't get it to be recognized within the workgroup....
    >>
    >>Can someone point me to a page that tells me points to check, or at least
    >>give me some hints - - I thought I knew what I was doing, but I'm no longer
    >>sure...and can't remember how I did it for the laptop...
    >>
    >>I have all the same protocols, etc chosen in the Network control panel (the
    >>laptop and the new computer), however, the new computer can't see the other
    >>computers and the other computers can't see the new one...
    >>
    >>Help!
    >
    >More info - -
    >the laptop is XP Pro
    >
    >The two other computers on the network are Win2K Pro....
    >
    >Is it at all possible to connect/see a WinXP Home computer in a local
    >workgroup like this?

    All versions of Windows released in the last 12+ years can network
    with each other in a workgroup.

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on the new computer, being sure to
    specify the right connection option. Don't run the Wizard on any of
    the other computers even if it tells you to -- they're already set up
    for networking.

    Make sure that a firewall program (Norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm,
    PCCillin, etc) isn't blocking access to the network. If there's a
    firewall program, make sure that the new computer's built-in Windows
    Firewall is disabled. Using more than one firewall can cause network
    problems.

    Try accessing the new computer from an old one, or an old one from the
    new one, directly, without using My Network Places. To do that, type
    the other computer's name in the Start | Run box in this format:

    \\computer
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com