How do I diagnose a desktop freeze?

I run Windows XP Home SP2 and enjoy listening to internet radio for
hours at a time while doing non-computer activities. On several random
occasions lately, the audio stream has stopped and I discover my desktop
has locked up...with no response from keyboard or mouse. After a reset,
I've checked the event log and Dr. Watson (drwtsn32.log) but can find no
entry, including date/time, related to the freeze. My system runs cool,
regularly showing 34C and 35C for board and CPU temps, with all fans at
appropriate speeds. My firewall, antivirus and antispyware apps are
regularly updated. I haven't installed new hardware or apps in weeks.
What other tools are available to troubleshoot this kind of freeze?
7 answers Last reply
More about diagnose desktop freeze

    In news:uuCxTMatFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    JimD <jdyden@comcast.net> had this to say:

    > I run Windows XP Home SP2 and enjoy listening to internet radio for
    > hours at a time while doing non-computer activities. On several
    > random occasions lately, the audio stream has stopped and I discover
    > my desktop has locked up...with no response from keyboard or mouse. After
    > a reset, I've checked the event log and Dr. Watson
    > (drwtsn32.log) but can find no entry, including date/time, related to
    > the freeze. My system runs cool, regularly showing 34C and 35C for
    > board and CPU temps, with all fans at appropriate speeds. My
    > firewall, antivirus and antispyware apps are regularly updated. I
    > haven't installed new hardware or apps in weeks. What other tools are
    > available to troubleshoot this kind of freeze?

    Try this:

    Explorer as a Separate Process :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/tips/sep_explorer.html

    It's not diagnosing anything but it often fixes some odd explorer issues, it
    might help.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Look at the event viewer to find what exactly is causing the problem.
    Open Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer

    'How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
    Windows XP'
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    JimD wrote:

    > I run Windows XP Home SP2 and enjoy listening to internet radio for
    > hours at a time while doing non-computer activities. On several random
    > occasions lately, the audio stream has stopped and I discover my desktop
    > has locked up...with no response from keyboard or mouse. After a reset,
    > I've checked the event log and Dr. Watson (drwtsn32.log) but can find no
    > entry, including date/time, related to the freeze. My system runs cool,
    > regularly showing 34C and 35C for board and CPU temps, with all fans at
    > appropriate speeds. My firewall, antivirus and antispyware apps are
    > regularly updated. I haven't installed new hardware or apps in weeks.
    > What other tools are available to troubleshoot this kind of freeze?

    Did you not read my third sentence?

    S.Sengupta wrote:
    > Look at the event viewer to find what exactly is causing the problem.
    > Open Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer
    >
    > 'How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
    > Windows XP'
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > JimD wrote:
    >
    >> I run Windows XP Home SP2 and enjoy listening to internet radio for
    >> hours at a time while doing non-computer activities. On several
    >> random occasions lately, the audio stream has stopped and I discover
    >> my desktop has locked up...with no response from keyboard or mouse.
    >> After a reset, I've checked the event log and Dr. Watson
    >> (drwtsn32.log) but can find no entry, including date/time, related to
    >> the freeze. My system runs cool, regularly showing 34C and 35C for
    >> board and CPU temps, with all fans at appropriate speeds. My
    >> firewall, antivirus and antispyware apps are regularly updated. I
    >> haven't installed new hardware or apps in weeks. What other tools are
    >> available to troubleshoot this kind of freeze?

    i have the same problem,i just have xp home and norton 2005 and nothing else
    and it still freezes and i can't find anything wrong thru the event error
    log. it seems since someof windows updates, but not sure. I have a new hard
    drive in my computer,just put 2 weeks ago and have had the problem since.

    "JimD" wrote:

    > Did you not read my third sentence?
    >
    > S.Sengupta wrote:
    > > Look at the event viewer to find what exactly is causing the problem.
    > > Open Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer
    > >
    > > 'How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
    > > Windows XP'
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560
    > >
    > > regards,
    > > ssg MS-MVP
    > >
    > > JimD wrote:
    > >
    > >> I run Windows XP Home SP2 and enjoy listening to internet radio for
    > >> hours at a time while doing non-computer activities. On several
    > >> random occasions lately, the audio stream has stopped and I discover
    > >> my desktop has locked up...with no response from keyboard or mouse.
    > >> After a reset, I've checked the event log and Dr. Watson
    > >> (drwtsn32.log) but can find no entry, including date/time, related to
    > >> the freeze. My system runs cool, regularly showing 34C and 35C for
    > >> board and CPU temps, with all fans at appropriate speeds. My
    > >> firewall, antivirus and antispyware apps are regularly updated. I
    > >> haven't installed new hardware or apps in weeks. What other tools are
    > >> available to troubleshoot this kind of freeze?

    Hmm.I missed that one.
    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    "computer freezes" <computer freezes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >i have the same problem,i just have xp home and norton 2005 and nothing else
    >and it still freezes and i can't find anything wrong thru the event error
    >log. it seems since someof windows updates, but not sure. I have a new hard
    >drive in my computer,just put 2 weeks ago and have had the problem since.

    1. If there is any sort of Norton/Symantec product installed on a
    computer then that always has to be a prime suspect as the culprit for
    any and all problems that occur on that computer. Guilty until proven
    innocent.

    2. When you installed the new hard drive, did you install a clean new
    copy of Windows on the new drive or did you use a disk cloning utility
    to transfer the installed Windows from the old hard drive? If you
    did a clean install then you probably need to check the websites of
    the computer/motherboard manufacturer and also the manufacturer's of
    your video and sound cards for any updated Windows XP drivers. Do not
    trust the hardware items from Windows updates to give you the latest
    driver versions. In fact it is generally best not install any updated
    hardware driver updates from the Windows Update site. Rather you
    should just use the presence of these updated drivers as an indicator
    that you need to go the appropriate manufacturer's web site and the
    latest drivers from there.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks for the registry tweak, but the freezes still occur.

    > In news:uuCxTMatFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > JimD <jdyden@comcast.net> had this to say:

    >>I run Windows XP Home SP2 and enjoy listening to internet radio for
    >>hours at a time while doing non-computer activities. On several
    >>random occasions lately, the audio stream has stopped and I discover
    >>my desktop has locked up...with no response from keyboard or mouse. After
    >>a reset, I've checked the event log and Dr. Watson
    >>(drwtsn32.log) but can find no entry, including date/time, related to
    >>the freeze. My system runs cool, regularly showing 34C and 35C for
    >>board and CPU temps, with all fans at appropriate speeds. My
    >>firewall, antivirus and antispyware apps are regularly updated. I
    >>haven't installed new hardware or apps in weeks. What other tools are
    >>available to troubleshoot this kind of freeze?
    >

    > Try this:
    >
    > Explorer as a Separate Process :
    > http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/tips/sep_explorer.html
    >
    > It's not diagnosing anything but it often fixes some odd explorer issues, it
    > might help.
    >
    > Galen

Desktops Windows XP