HP w/ AMD Athlon XP-M

radwj

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
I am looking to purchase a HP notebook with the following configuration:
AMD Athlon XP-M Processor 2200
256 RAM
ATI MOBILITY RADEON (M6) 4X AGP. (w/ 64 shared memory)
14.0 XGA TFT
30G HD

I would be using this machine about 50/50 plugged in and on the road. I won’t be using it for games or editing/playing videos. Its primary use is for business applications (Excel, charting software-computation intensive), email and general web browsing.

Any feedback is appreciated on whether this configuration is sufficient to do the job or am I going to regret it. I am specifically looking for feedback on whether the Athlon XP-M is capable of handling computational intensive apps, and whether the ATI Mobility Radeon (M6) is sufficient in rendering jpg/jpeg chart images.

regards,

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
The AthlonXP is slightly less powerful than the Pentium-M clock for clock, but at 2200+ (1.8GHz), it will outperform the Pentium-M (Centrino) by a hair. It is just about as efficient in terms of power consumption too. Since you are not interested in 3D performance, the only way you will get a faster CPU would be to get a Pentium 4-m (over 2.8GHz), which will not give you as long battery life.

I think that sounds like a good buy, except the HDD and RAM. I would fork out and get a little extra RAM (At least 384MB), and a 5400rpm HDD. The HDD is imperative. Take my word for it, especially as you say you are working with chart images which are rather big are they not?

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

radwj

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
Thanks Rapture, your advice on this board is always invaluable.

I can fork the extra bucks and go for a larger drive and RAM. How about the ATI Mobility Radeon M6, is it sufficient?

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I think it would be cheeper to buy the notebook with 256mb (make sure its one dimm) and go to comp usa or somewhere and buy another 256 or 128 and put it in yourself. It is just a matter of removing two screws and snapping in a memory module. Any dumbass could do it. The M6 should be adequate for office apps, but would probably be bad for gaming.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Thank you,

The M6 should be fine for what you need. A faster graphics card mite have helped with the rendering of images, but it really is inconsequential.

And I completely agree with Howard, get the RAM from a separate dealer or reseller, it is much more cost effective. One thing though: notebook RAM is veryy "iffy" try to make sure that you get the same brand and spec'd RAM as the RAM already in your computer.

The thing is, Windows XP need at least 256MB Ram to run decently, and you are sharing 64MB of that with your M6. So either 384 or 512MB should be perfect.

Good Luck

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?