Phone Line Networks?

G

I'm finally going to upgrade my internet connection to broadband. This means that I will have to network my two computers to avoid purchasing extra equipment. The problem is, the two computers are nowhere near each other so it would be a real pain to run ethernet wires between them. And wireless networking stuff is all too slow or too expensive. However, recently, as I was perusing an issue of PC World, I noticed an blurb on networking through existing phone lines. Anyone know anything about this? What equipment is required and how much will it cost? Would it be fast enough (all I really need it for is to share the internet connection)? All replies are appreciated. Thank You!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I myself haven't really looked into this technology, but from what I know (which may be wrong) it connects multiple computers by means of the telephone jacks in your house. The speed is more than adequate for sharing a high speed internet connection. The equipment is not as cheap as going with RJ45 ethernet, but it isn't so expensive that it's not affordable neither.
Hopefully somebody can give you further insight; I've provided what I understand of it.

Cheers.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
looks good in principal - make sure you get the 2nd generation cards that support 10Mbs, not the older ones. You can get pairs of NICs for very little....

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
i set up a simple 2 pc network for sharing a cable modem for my sister and her roomates at college. works great.
i used the linksys hpn200 cards. About $30 apiece I think, maybe cheaper now. I didn't even use a hub. just windows network software. make sure you get 2nd generation cards though. A new technology called "homeplug" I think was not yet out at the time i bought my setup but is supposed to use the 110v lines in your home to transfer data at ethernet speeds if I recall. What a great time to be alive.

G

if i don't use a router or anything, will the computer that the modem is hooked up to still need to be on in order for the other one to access the internet?

G

also...is there any speed difference if the cable modem i get is usb or ethernet?...should i spend the extra $20 or so to buy an ethernet card to connect the modem to, or just get a usb one, seeing as I wouldn't need the ethernet card for anything else

G

Yeah, just make sure it's the newer generation 10mbps cards - I have the older ones from a few years ago. The server has cable, where downloads can reach up to 300+k/s. However, through the network, a client can only get up to 40k/s, even though the 1mpbs card should be able to hit at least 100k/s.