prescott, northwood, etc..

nico3d

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
what are all these names?? prescott, northwood, canterwood...etc etc....
what is the relationship between them and intel or amd or whatever...??

Nico -- Nick :p

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Here are some good places for you to start doing your homework:

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/" target="_new">THG</A>
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/" target="_new">Anandtech</A>
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/" target="_new">x-bit Labs</A>
<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/" target="_new">[H]ardOCP</A>

If you are really interested in computer you should start reading/searching a bit by yourself. Then, come to a forum like this for any specific questions you may have. If you are too bored for that, then I suggest choosing another hobby.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
They are codenames for processors (CPUs) or chipsets (a set of chips from which a motherboard can be manufactured). The codenames designate an individual architecture. I think I'd better give you a few examples, so you can understand the general idea.

<b>CPU Codenames</b>
P4:
-Willamette: P4s from 1.4 to 2.0Ghz, running 400Mhz FSB. Used 180nm technology.
-Northwood: P4s from 2.0 to 3.4Ghz, running either 400Mhz, 533Mhz FSB or 800Mhz FSB. 5-10% faster than Willamette. Some of them come with HT enabled; all of them have HT circuitry, some disabled. Uses 130nm technology.
-Prescott: Next generation of P4s, from 2.8Ghz to 4.xGhz. It's very likely that this generation of P4s has 64-bit circuitry, but as far as we all know, it will be initially disabled. Uses 90nm technology, and is the first commercial chip to do so. More information on it tomorrow; it is to be launched tomorrow.

Athlon XP
-Palomino: Initial Athlon XP, was available at 1.333Ghz to 1.733Ghz (1500+ to 2100+). Used 180nm technology and 266Mhz FSB.
-Thoroughbred A: Better core; better thermal protection. Still uses a 266Mhz FSB; it went all the way from 1.4Ghz to 1.8Ghz (1600+ to 2200+).
-Thoroughbred B, 266Mhz FSB: Enhanced core for clock scaling (extra layer of copper interconnects). From 1.4Ghz to 2.133Ghz (1600+ to 2600+)
-Thoroughbred B, 333Mhz FSB: Higher FSB is the only difference. Went all the way to 2800+ (2250Mhz).
-Barton (400Mhz FSB) - Higher FSB and better core, but somewhat slower clock speeds. Came in 2500, 2600, 2800, 3000 and 3200 flavors.

And there are also the chipsets... I'll just name Intel's, cause it looks a bit more organized.

<b>Chipset codenames</b>

-Springdale, i865 - Mainstream platform with support for 800Mhz and dual DDR400. Typical mobo: P4P800 from asus.
-Canterwood, i875 - State-of-the-art platform; identical to springdale, except for PAT (performance acceleration technology), which is supposed to boost speed by a few percentage points.
-(NEW - March 2004) Grantsdale, i915 - Mainstream platform for LGA775 (Intel's new socket) and prescott. Supports PCI-Express, a new PCI and AGP-replacement technology, and DDR-2, which enables higher memory bandwidth.
-(NEW - March 2004) Alderwood, i925X - State-of-the-art platform for prescott and LGA775 processors. Same as Grantsdale, except for PAT, again.

:evil: <font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

nico3d

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Dear pitsi,

I'm a hundred percent self-taught in computers. All the sites you linked me to, are all the ones that I've been visiting on a daily basis for months already.
and yes, I'm really interested in computer if you still want me to tell you. And my question was a valid one, and a specific one.
So, my answer to you is: if you are too bored for reading such a "silly" and "easy-to-answer" question like the one I posted, then, my suggestion is don't bother to answer, just stick to the highly sofisticated questions, the ones like , only the elite that you belong to can answer, cos you may be soo so soooo darn smart and you must be such a CPU master that only you can ready those.
Whereas me, I have a strong sense of community and to learn from one another, something I'm sure you are not pretty familiar with so far.....
so another suggestion would be (if you are not satisfied with the sugg above), not to participate in a forum, cos in
a forum everyone is free to ask things to learn, whatever the level of knowledge. If that bothers, well, I guess you have a problem.

take care

nico3d

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
thank you soooooooo much mephistopheles !!

you gave me an awesome explanation I couldn't find anywhere else !!!
I didn't even imagine those names were that !!

thanx a lot buddy !

you should teach solidarity to our friend pitsi here

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
My reply to you was mainly because of this.

prescott, northwood, canterwood...etc etc....

For me, the "etc etc" list is endless, and that's why I found it impossible for me to answer your question. There are so many things out there that I could just sit here and type for hours. Anyway, there is no reason to get offended. My intention wasn't that, and the fact that almost nobody nowadays uses the "search button" is a reality (and it doesn't really matter if you are one of them or not). I've seen how excited you were because of Mephistocles answer there, and although a great post, it can not be described as "completed" by any way. You should still search and find more info about those things (<b>and others</b>) by yourself.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
it can not be described as "completed" by any way. You should still search and find more info about those things
Umm... True. I was only quoting a few examples, you're right.

hogfather

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
Nice explanation! I was under the impression Prescott was codename for the p5 :| Also, does that mean this Tejas chap is the p5?

XP2000, 256ddr 2100ram, GF4 MX440, XP Pro

nico3d

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
I'm glad you cleared that pitsi !

and of course no one can ramble on for 15 pages giving every explanation, but a brief one is mostly expected so you have a place where to start reasearching or learning....like the one mephistopheles gave me....

anyway, I'm glad we cleared that

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Actually, it's not quite clear as to which processor will be called Pentium 5, or if there will be a P5 at all. Try <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=168418#168418" target="_new">these roadmaps</A>, they suggest Tejas is actually P5. Or whenever they activate x86-64...