Help won't help! :)

Hi all.

Got an odd one. Windows XP Home, SP2 installed. Go to Start|Help and
Support, click and nothing happens. Someone invites me to RemoteAssist,
I accept and nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Thankies.

Simon.
3 answers Last reply
More about help help

    'Why doesn't Help and Support work? '

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Simon Hart wrote:

    > Hi all.
    >
    > Got an odd one. Windows XP Home, SP2 installed. Go to Start|Help and
    > Support, click and nothing happens. Someone invites me to RemoteAssist,
    > I accept and nothing happens.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thankies.
    >
    > Simon.

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:40:17 +1200 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Simon Hart favored us with...

    > Got an odd one. Windows XP Home, SP2 installed. Go to Start|Help and
    > Support, click and nothing happens. Someone invites me to RemoteAssist,
    > I accept and nothing happens.

    From http://oakroadsystems.com/tech/winxptip.htm#HelpMissing, "Help
    and Support is Missing":

    Press Windows+R and type
    helpctr -regserver
    Reference: Usenet article posted 2005-02-25 by "Laxmi" and archived
    at
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=ACBA4889-583A-4C25-B337-8F203D5D76E9@microsoft.com

    Alternative: download and apply this registry edit from Kelly's
    Korner.
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/helpnsupport.reg

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    "I was misinformed."

    Simon,

    For the Help and Support issue, here is a couple of options starting with a
    DLL registration. (Proceed to next method if one fails to resolve the
    problem):

    Type in Start, Run dialog:

    helpctr -regserver
    regsvr32 itss
    regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
    regsvr32 jscript

    Fix Windows XP Help - from Doug's site:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm

    In _nothing_ helps, try reinstalling HelpCenter:

    Open %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show as
    PCHealth in W.Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install". Insert
    your XP CD when prompted. If you have a Service Pack installed, be sure to
    point to the %Windir%\i386\ServicePackFiles folder, or your slipstreamed XP
    CD (if available).

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Simon Hart" <trunkles@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    >
    > Got an odd one. Windows XP Home, SP2 installed. Go to Start|Help and
    > Support, click and nothing happens. Someone invites me to RemoteAssist, I
    > accept and nothing happens.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thankies.
    >
    > Simon.