Pls help me replace Dimension 4550 Motherboard (6U214) wit..

I am helping a friend who has fried this mobo, seems there is a high
failure rate by reading newsgroups. I am experienced at putting
together PCs from standard components.

If I can get a replacement that fits, I am sure I can get a
better/cheaper/more reliable solution for my friend. What I am missing
is form factor, compatibility with existing CPU & memory,
power/led/switch connections, physical fit into existing case.

Is there someone out there who has a tried and true solution?

Thanks in advance for your help, here are the mobo/CPU/memory specs
from the Dell service tag lookup:

1 6U214 CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), DIM4550, NETWORK
INTERFACE CARD/CONTROLLERS

1 9U540 PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.0G, 512K, 400, SOCKET N, C1

1 8T914 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 333M, 32X64, 8K, 184

The board is proprietary enough that retrofitting an aftermarket board isn't
easy - it involves case modifications, rewiring, and other issues. At a
minimum, you'll need to figure out how to mount a standard board in the Dell
case (the Dell board mounts in a nonstandard way to a tray), split out the
front panel connector to individual 2-, 3- and 4-wire terminators, and
replace the I/O shield at the back of the case. In all, it'll be a lot
easier if you replace the case with the mainboard.

The CPU is socket 478 and the memory PC2700 DDR-DRAM.

"cdrcurious" <cdrcurious@nothing.com> wrote in message
> I am helping a friend who has fried this mobo, seems there is a high
> failure rate by reading newsgroups. I am experienced at putting
> together PCs from standard components.
>
> If I can get a replacement that fits, I am sure I can get a
> better/cheaper/more reliable solution for my friend. What I am missing
> is form factor, compatibility with existing CPU & memory,
> power/led/switch connections, physical fit into existing case.
>
> Is there someone out there who has a tried and true solution?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help, here are the mobo/CPU/memory specs
> from the Dell service tag lookup:
>
> 1 6U214 CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), DIM4550, NETWORK
> INTERFACE CARD/CONTROLLERS
>
> 1 9U540 PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.0G, 512K, 400, SOCKET N, C1
>
> 1 8T914 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 333M, 32X64, 8K, 184

How many failures did you find in the newsgroups? 5 or 10 or 20? Out of
hundreds of thousands sold, not too bad. How many posted that their
motherboard did not fail? Not too many I bet. I doubt that the failure
rate was high. In any case, you have no idea what the failure rate is.

"cdrcurious" <cdrcurious@nothing.com> wrote in message
> I am helping a friend who has fried this mobo, seems there is a high
> failure rate by reading newsgroups.

You're right.

I didn't read about all the people with failures who didn't post,
either. I also didn't know that hundreds of thousands of the 6U214
were sold. Would love to have your source of information?

BTW, I have an ABIT BE7 that hasn't fried yet. Just getting the poll
going, I guess ;-)

"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How many failures did you find in the newsgroups? 5 or 10 or 20? Out of
>hundreds of thousands sold, not too bad. How many posted that their
>motherboard did not fail? Not too many I bet. I doubt that the failure
>rate was high. In any case, you have no idea what the failure rate is.
>

>"cdrcurious" <cdrcurious@nothing.com> wrote in message
>> I am helping a friend who has fried this mobo, seems there is a high
>> failure rate by reading newsgroups.

Thanks.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote:

>The board is proprietary enough that retrofitting an aftermarket board isn't
>easy - it involves case modifications, rewiring, and other issues. At a
>minimum, you'll need to figure out how to mount a standard board in the Dell
>case (the Dell board mounts in a nonstandard way to a tray), split out the
>front panel connector to individual 2-, 3- and 4-wire terminators, and
>replace the I/O shield at the back of the case. In all, it'll be a lot
>easier if you replace the case with the mainboard.
>
>The CPU is socket 478 and the memory PC2700 DDR-DRAM.
>

>"cdrcurious" <cdrcurious@nothing.com> wrote in message
>> I am helping a friend who has fried this mobo, seems there is a high
>> failure rate by reading newsgroups. I am experienced at putting
>> together PCs from standard components.
>>
>> If I can get a replacement that fits, I am sure I can get a
>> better/cheaper/more reliable solution for my friend. What I am missing
>> is form factor, compatibility with existing CPU & memory,
>> power/led/switch connections, physical fit into existing case.
>>
>> Is there someone out there who has a tried and true solution?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help, here are the mobo/CPU/memory specs
>> from the Dell service tag lookup:
>>
>> 1 6U214 CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), DIM4550, NETWORK
>> INTERFACE CARD/CONTROLLERS
>>
>> 1 9U540 PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.0G, 512K, 400, SOCKET N, C1
>>
>> 1 8T914 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 333M, 32X64, 8K, 184

The 4550 was the mainstay model for quite awhile. I own two. You're
absolutely right, Dell didn't make hundreds of thousands of 4550 models.

They made millions. Easily.

Just look at their volumes and even a percentage of thta is huge.

Oh, and by the way, I've been in this newsgroup for years and yours is the
first failed 4550 that I remember reading about. Not saying it doesn't
happen, as clearly it does, but it is not a 'known problem'.

Personally, I'd bet on a power spike.

Tom
> You're right.
>
> I didn't read about all the people with failures who didn't post,
> either. I also didn't know that hundreds of thousands of the 6U214
> were sold. Would love to have your source of information?
>
> BTW, I have an ABIT BE7 that hasn't fried yet. Just getting the poll
> going, I guess ;-)
>
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >How many failures did you find in the newsgroups? 5 or 10 or 20? Out of
> >hundreds of thousands sold, not too bad. How many posted that their
> >motherboard did not fail? Not too many I bet. I doubt that the failure
> >rate was high. In any case, you have no idea what the failure rate is.
> >

> >"cdrcurious" <cdrcurious@nothing.com> wrote in message
> >> I am helping a friend who has fried this mobo, seems there is a high
> >> failure rate by reading newsgroups.

Boy, people come out of the woodwork to pile on. You must have missed
the point of this thread, and of this group. To help people.

As for your market research, since you claim that Dell sold millions
of one particular model, I'll bet they've sold billions of PC's since
they've been in business?

All told, I'll bet there have been hundreds of billions PC's sold
since the beginning of time?

Give me a break.

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>The 4550 was the mainstay model for quite awhile. I own two. You're
>absolutely right, Dell didn't make hundreds of thousands of 4550 models.
>
>They made millions. Easily.
>
>Just look at their volumes and even a percentage of thta is huge.
>
>Oh, and by the way, I've been in this newsgroup for years and yours is the
>first failed 4550 that I remember reading about. Not saying it doesn't
>happen, as clearly it does, but it is not a 'known problem'.
>
>Personally, I'd bet on a power spike.
>
>Tom
>"cdrcurious" <cdrcurious@nothing.com> wrote in message
>> You're right.
>>
>> I didn't read about all the people with failures who didn't post,
>> either. I also didn't know that hundreds of thousands of the 6U214
>> were sold. Would love to have your source of information?
>>
>> BTW, I have an ABIT BE7 that hasn't fried yet. Just getting the poll
>> going, I guess ;-)
>>
>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >How many failures did you find in the newsgroups? 5 or 10 or 20? Out of
>> >hundreds of thousands sold, not too bad. How many posted that their
>> >motherboard did not fail? Not too many I bet. I doubt that the failure
>> >rate was high. In any case, you have no idea what the failure rate is.
>> >

>> >"cdrcurious" <cdrcurious@nothing.com> wrote in message

About as accurate as your claim that the failure rate is high.............