Sign in with
Your question

Building a new computer: Need help!

Last response: in CPUs
February 1, 2004 6:25:31 PM

I'm looking to build a new computer since my 1.4 Gig/256 MB Hewlett Packard is starting to get slower.

I need this computer to be on the cheaper side, but I also want a memory card that will be able to support dual monitors. I don't play games so I just need a decent video card though, don't want to spend very much on it. I mainly surf the web, talk on AIM, and listen to music.

Heres what I've basically come up with but I need some help:

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.6C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
$175

Abit IC7-G MaxII Advance Motherboard
$136

Corsair Value Select 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Memory
$77

Western Digital Caviar 80GB / 7200 / 8MB / 8.9 / ATA-100 EIDE Hard Drive
$83

Connect3D Radeon 9200 128MB DDR AGP8X with TV-Out & DVI Video Card
$90

Powmax ATX Silver Case with Window, LED Fan and 400Watt Power Supply
$44.99

Total: =~600 (I'm editing things)

How does everything look? Give me all your opinions please! Also, do I need to buy anything that to put the computer together that doesn't come with these things? This is the first time I am making a computer (my bro's friend is actually going to put it together). Thanks VERY much!

More about : building computer

a b à CPUs
February 1, 2004 10:50:29 PM

You want it on the cheaper side? Get the Abit IS7. It's $92 at Newegg and offers nearly as many features with nearly identicle performance. It's also rumored to be a bit more stable with some RAM.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!