Wits-end - can someone help??

dmccaman

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2004
I recently upgraded my computer with a Radeon 9800 Pro and then a new Athlon 2400 XP processor. At this point, I no longer get a signal on my monitor for my computer. I have replaced the power supply with a 500w, and I just bought a new motherboard, Abit KV7. The problem continued to be the same before and after the replaced power supply and motherboard. Sometimes the cpu will start up and get to the black Windows XP screen and then before the next Windows screen it will freeze. Last night it worked fine - but then the whole thing froze... and when I tried to restart, nothing would come up on the monitor. I have tried changing the cords out, and every time the computer will get nothing - If I want to restart it, I have to hold in the on/off button for 5 seconds every time. Ach!

I have tried putting in my old GeForce 2 card and the problems remains the same. The only thing I can think is that the processor is the cause, but this doesn't seem like a typical processor problem.

Anyone be my savior or offer some helpful advice? Thank you kindly!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It does no good to replace junk with junk.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dmccaman

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2004
Thanks for the help... that was very helpful. I am sure Athlons and Radeons are probably not junk. Maybe a more intelligent post from anyone?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually that was an expert opinion, you just didn't figure out what parts I was refering to. You didn't supply any details on the power supply so I have to assume it's generic trash. How can I assume that? Because when people buy quality parts they normally brag about it, or at least mention it to eliminate that part as a suspect.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
Crashman may be right (as usual) or you may not have plugged the special power cable into your video card. Most people here would have suggested an nforce board over a via chipset, as there can be setup problems with the hyperion agp drivers. Hopefully you installed the latest ones, and the instalation was not interupted.

Lodengarl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003
I used the power supply splitter to put one end to the hard drive, one end to the Radeon, and I didn't get a chance to install the hyperions again. It didn't get that far.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
So what brand is your PSU? Q-Tec? Powmax?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7454540" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

Lodengarl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003
It is a CompUSA brand, 500w for $80. The problem is persisting with the 500w the same as it did with the 300w I replaced. Thanks.

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
When you installed the new graphics card, did you use detonator destroyer to remove the old nvidia drivers? That is a common problem. When you installed the new mobo, did you do a fresh install of windows or did you just hope it would work installing the old HDD with existing OS?

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG 12x8x32 CDR
WIN2K PRO SP4

DeEvolution

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2004
It sounds as though you have a deficiency in power to me. However one can not rule out neither accidental static discharge during installation nor inadequate contact between the new processor and your heatsink. (Or even lackluster cooling in general for that matter.) I imagine that given time other possibilities will be presented as well.

"Sad is the elephant upon the ice who went to put on his wooly coat only to realize that he left it in his other trunk." - DeEvolution