Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Purchasing Feedback Requested

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
May 2, 2010 7:38:27 PM

Hello,

I already have been researching for myself for awhile now on what my next laptop purchase should be, and I wanted to create a discussion here to receive some feedback / opinions from the community.

1_What is your budget?
$1,000 - $ 1,200ish.

2_How much screen size do you need?
15" - 17" (Would prefer a 15"ish if possible).

3_How much screen resolution do you want?
HD resolution, with a decent / good display that provides good detail.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable.

5_How much battery life do you need?
3hrs or so would be nice but it's not the most important feature to me.

6_Do you want to play games with it? If so then what kind of settings you want to play your games?(Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, there will be some mobile gaming going on here. I'm going for good mobile games, such as Settlers 7 (High), Dawn of War II (Med or High), Titan Quest (High), Red Faction 2, etc.

7_What other tasks do you want to with your laptop?
Watching movies, web chat, etc.

8_How much storage(H.D.D Capacity)do you need?
At the very least, 320GB or 500GB if available.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Laptop replacement for the next 4yrs at least.

11_If you like to mention some other things,please post them too.
I'm really trying to grapple with all of the mobile graphics cards performance, relative to one another; this is not helped by Nvidia's excellent naming conventions with only minimal differences between their graphics offerings (240, 260, 330M, 340M..... sarcasm!). ATI seems to offer great performance + forward looking features (DX11, decent power consumption).
Could someone in their reply provide a brief opinion on the mobile graphics scene? Thanks.

In my researching, I've narrowed it down to at least two from Newegg that seem to fit the bill nicely:

ASUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MSI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I had tried the previous version of that same ASUS laptop above, the 16" but the screen resolution was really weak and the quality poor (level of detail). The MSI laptop, while not being the most bleeding edge, is well rounded, but I am worried about the screen quality since it's Wide SXGA+.

Thank you all for your time.
May 3, 2010 2:52:50 AM

I hate to see such a nice post go unanswered. It really was a pleasure to read one that gives all the information. I am no expert on mobile graphics, but I will say that even though I am something of an asus fanboi the msi looks much better to me. The only thing that would break the deal for me is the tiny number of usb ports (only as many as my netbook, if you notice in the review that there are three) but you know how many you need better than I.
!