TECH: Mousin' Around Left Flipper Problem

My Mousin' Around which has been in in storage and is now being resurrected
has a problem with the left flipper.

It's completely dead BUT... with the glass off, if you press the left flipper
button and lift the flipper with your right hand you can tell it's trying to
work and if you help it a little it seems to want to jump at the very end of
its stroke.

All the mechanical parts are clean and not worn and the tolerances/gap
between the PF and flipper are good so there is no binding.

I've checked all the mechanical connections like the wiring to the solenoid,
the backbox connections, and the flipper switch (of which I've filed the
points).

As a start I was just going to just replace the transistor that controls it
to see if that would work but for the life of me I can't find it or much
about the flippers in the schematics (which I'm poor at).

Any ideas?

Thanks.
--
Ron -- CARGPB7
ronstr@comflycast.net -- remove the "fly" to email

Your EOS switch is making poor/no
contact, or the "power" winding is
open on the coil.

--
Fred
TX

"Ron Strom" <see_my_sig@nospam.net> wrote in message news:MPG.1d604205a9a09c21989c95@netnews.comcast.net...
> My Mousin' Around which has been in in storage and is now being resurrected
> has a problem with the left flipper.
>
> It's completely dead BUT... with the glass off, if you press the left flipper
> button and lift the flipper with your right hand you can tell it's trying to
> work and if you help it a little it seems to want to jump at the very end of
> its stroke.
>
> All the mechanical parts are clean and not worn and the tolerances/gap
> between the PF and flipper are good so there is no binding.
>
> I've checked all the mechanical connections like the wiring to the solenoid,
> the backbox connections, and the flipper switch (of which I've filed the
> points).
>
> As a start I was just going to just replace the transistor that controls it
> to see if that would work but for the life of me I can't find it or much
> about the flippers in the schematics (which I'm poor at).
>
> Any ideas?

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

Sounds like it is activating the hold winding on the solenoid but not the
high power winding.

Is the eos switch adjusted correctly?

All lugs on the solenoid have good wiring?

Sounds like it is either missing the high power winding or is stuck in the
low power hold winding.

Otto

CARGPB11

"Ron Strom" <see_my_sig@nospam.net> wrote in message
> My Mousin' Around which has been in in storage and is now being
> resurrected
> has a problem with the left flipper.
>
> It's completely dead BUT... with the glass off, if you press the left
> flipper
> button and lift the flipper with your right hand you can tell it's trying
> work and if you help it a little it seems to want to jump at the very end
> of
> its stroke.
>
> All the mechanical parts are clean and not worn and the tolerances/gap
> between the PF and flipper are good so there is no binding.
>
> I've checked all the mechanical connections like the wiring to the
> solenoid,
> the backbox connections, and the flipper switch (of which I've filed the
> points).
>
> As a start I was just going to just replace the transistor that controls
> it
> to see if that would work but for the life of me I can't find it or much
> about the flippers in the schematics (which I'm poor at).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Ron -- CARGPB7
> ronstr@comflycast.net -- remove the "fly" to email

Fred's probably right...I think those EOS switches are normally closed.
Could be a bad coil or coil diodes as well.

Check the solder joints on the coil lugs.

Read Clay's site for more help!!
http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm