SDB100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
just curious, was reading the specs for the ASUS K8V board, the RAM spec looks like this: 3x DIMM for DDR400/333/266(ECC). That ECC at the end, does that mean this board requires ECC, or just requires ECC when using 266Mhz RAM.

When looking over the memory compatibility for this board on ASUS' site, they listed only a few brands of memory. I was strongly considering Mushkin P3200 ram, but it wasnt listed. Is it always best to go with the motherboard "suggested" or "tested" ram, or will the Mushkin ram work just find in this motherboard? Second choice is, obviously, Kingston (which was on their approved list).

Lastly, im still undecided between the Asus K8V or the MSI K8T-Neo. Someone give me some experienced feedback on your opinions with these boards.

thanks

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
The chipset supports ECC but it will run with non-ECC modules.

"<A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8V Deluxe&langs=09" target="_new">3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 3GB un-buffered ECC and non-ECC PC3200/PC2700 / PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory</A>"

Got a LAN Party that you want people to know about?

Let me know about it. :smile:

endyen

Splendid
You are looking at socket 754 mobos for the Athlon64 3000+ type chips. The mushkin ram will probably be fine . The ecc ram was for the socket 940 chips (Athlon64 FX 51)
You may want to use high latency like 3T 4,4,8 until the onboard controler has a burn-in with the board. Since the onboard controller gives such low system latencies it is not crucial that the ram does so as well. You should be able to run at SPD settings or better, after a short while.