I can't get my external to read, it use to be under W: but now it's under D:
but it won't open. It's not in my diskmanagment eiter What can I do?

Kulada <Kulada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can't get my external to read, it use to be under W: but now it's under D:
>but it won't open. It's not in my diskmanagment eiter What can I do?

I assume you are talking about a problem with a Western Digital hard
drive that is mounted in an external (USB or Firewire) hard drive
enclosure.

If it was previously working properly and has now ceased to do so then
the primary suspect would be something hardware related. Double and
triple check the cable connection (both ends) between your computer
and the external drive. If you have a spare cable, or can swap with
another device, try that. Cables do fail. Also check the power
cable and make sure that the drive is getting power. There should be
an LED indicator on the drive when it is powered up.

If all of this seems to be working then the next step would be to
remove the drive from the external enclosure and install it
(temporarily) inside the PC. However if you are not familiar with
installing and removing hard drives and other hardware components then
you would probably be better off taking the drive to a repair shop and
asking them to check it out for you.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--