Need To Unmark An Active Hard Drive

For a certain project, I need to hide an Active Local drive partition

Temporally, switching the Active partition from one partition to another
does not satisfy the goals of this project

I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an Active
Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
Active

The only current solution I have at this time is Symantec Partition Magic
and that involves a work around. For this to work, I have to create a
temporary Primary partition, then (2) mark said temporary Primary partition
Active and then (3) delete said Primary partition - this will leave all prior
drives uneffected and no drives Active on the hard drive

One side effect of this work around - Partition Magic will alter a Windows
Multiboot "boot.ini" file after any partition is deleted

Thank you in advance for your replies
7 answers Last reply
More about need unmark active hard drive

    Hi Howard,

    Suggestion:

    Bing - Boot It Next Generation
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

    "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > For a certain project, I need to hide an Active Local drive partition
    >
    > Temporally, switching the Active partition from one partition to another
    > does not satisfy the goals of this project
    >
    > I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an
    > Active
    > Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
    > Active
    >
    > The only current solution I have at this time is Symantec Partition Magic
    > and that involves a work around. For this to work, I have to create a
    > temporary Primary partition, then (2) mark said temporary Primary
    > partition
    > Active and then (3) delete said Primary partition - this will leave all
    > prior
    > drives uneffected and no drives Active on the hard drive
    >
    > One side effect of this work around - Partition Magic will alter a
    > Windows
    > Multiboot "boot.ini" file after any partition is deleted
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your replies

    Hi Kelly,

    Good to see you back! Is there anyway we can help you - anything you have
    need for?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    > Hi Howard,
    >
    > Suggestion:
    >
    > Bing - Boot It Next Generation
    > http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    > Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
    >

    > "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> For a certain project, I need to hide an Active Local drive partition
    >>
    >> Temporally, switching the Active partition from one partition to another
    >> does not satisfy the goals of this project
    >>
    >> I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an
    >> Active
    >> Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
    >> Active
    >>
    >> The only current solution I have at this time is Symantec Partition Magic
    >> and that involves a work around. For this to work, I have to create a
    >> temporary Primary partition, then (2) mark said temporary Primary
    >> partition
    >> Active and then (3) delete said Primary partition - this will leave all
    >> prior
    >> drives uneffected and no drives Active on the hard drive
    >>
    >> One side effect of this work around - Partition Magic will alter a
    >> Windows
    >> Multiboot "boot.ini" file after any partition is deleted
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for your replies

    Thank you for your reply

    I downloaded the application "Boot It - Next Generation" that you suggested

    In order to totally unmark an Active Local drive (have no partitions marked
    Active on the Local drive), it seems like you have to do the same work around
    as Partition Magic

    It seems like you have to create a new partition - mark the new one Active -
    and then delete the new one - in order to wind up with just the original
    drives - none marked Active ???

    Is there an easier way of doing this particular task ???

    Am I missing something here ????

    "Howard" wrote:

    > For a certain project, I need to hide an Active Local drive partition
    >
    > Temporally, switching the Active partition from one partition to another
    > does not satisfy the goals of this project
    >
    > I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an Active
    > Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
    > Active
    >
    > The only current solution I have at this time is Symantec Partition Magic
    > and that involves a work around. For this to work, I have to create a
    > temporary Primary partition, then (2) mark said temporary Primary partition
    > Active and then (3) delete said Primary partition - this will leave all prior
    > drives uneffected and no drives Active on the hard drive
    >
    > One side effect of this work around - Partition Magic will alter a Windows
    > Multiboot "boot.ini" file after any partition is deleted
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your replies

    Thanks, Richard. All seems to be getting back to normal by the day. :o)

    --

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Kelly,
    >
    > Good to see you back! Is there anyway we can help you - anything you have
    > need for?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner

    >> Hi Howard,
    >>
    >> Suggestion:
    >>
    >> Bing - Boot It Next Generation
    >> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    >> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
    >>

    >> "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> For a certain project, I need to hide an Active Local drive partition
    >>>
    >>> Temporally, switching the Active partition from one partition to another
    >>> does not satisfy the goals of this project
    >>>
    >>> I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an
    >>> Active
    >>> Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
    >>> Active
    >>>
    >>> The only current solution I have at this time is Symantec Partition
    >>> Magic
    >>> and that involves a work around. For this to work, I have to create a
    >>> temporary Primary partition, then (2) mark said temporary Primary
    >>> partition
    >>> Active and then (3) delete said Primary partition - this will leave all
    >>> prior
    >>> drives uneffected and no drives Active on the hard drive
    >>>
    >>> One side effect of this work around - Partition Magic will alter a
    >>> Windows
    >>> Multiboot "boot.ini" file after any partition is deleted
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance for your replies

    Glad to hear that!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    > Thanks, Richard. All seems to be getting back to normal by the day. :o)
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    > Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
    >

    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:%23ZTc0LgtFHA.736@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi Kelly,
    >>
    >> Good to see you back! Is there anyway we can help you - anything you have
    >> need for?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Howard,
    >>>
    >>> Suggestion:
    >>>
    >>> Bing - Boot It Next Generation
    >>> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> All the Best,
    >>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>>
    >>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>>
    >>> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    >>> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
    >>>

    >>> "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  6. Quote:
    I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an Active
    Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
    Active
    Here's a solution that's already installed in Windows.

    Open up a command prompt and type DISKPART.
    Type LIST DISK
    Type SELECT DISK n (where n is the number of the old Win98 drive)
    Type LIST PARTITION
    Type SELECT PARTITION n (where n is the number of the active partition you wish to make inactive)
    Type INACTIVE
    Type EXIT to exit DISKPART
    Type EXIT again to exit the command prompt
    Restart
  7. Swingdancer: You are a champion!

Partition Partition Magic Hard Drives Windows XP