Need To Unmark An Active Hard Drive

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001

For a certain project, I need to hide an Active Local drive partition

Temporally, switching the Active partition from one partition to another
does not satisfy the goals of this project

I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an Active
Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
Active

The only current solution I have at this time is Symantec Partition Magic
and that involves a work around. For this to work, I have to create a
temporary Primary partition, then (2) mark said temporary Primary partition
Active and then (3) delete said Primary partition - this will leave all prior
drives uneffected and no drives Active on the hard drive

One side effect of this work around - Partition Magic will alter a Windows
Multiboot "boot.ini" file after any partition is deleted

Thank you in advance for your replies

kelly

Hi Howard,

Suggestion:

Bing - Boot It Next Generation
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

"Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For a certain project, I need to hide an Active Local drive partition
>
> Temporally, switching the Active partition from one partition to another
> does not satisfy the goals of this project
>
> I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an
> Active
> Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
> Active
>
> The only current solution I have at this time is Symantec Partition Magic
> and that involves a work around. For this to work, I have to create a
> temporary Primary partition, then (2) mark said temporary Primary
> partition
> Active and then (3) delete said Primary partition - this will leave all
> prior
> drives uneffected and no drives Active on the hard drive
>
> One side effect of this work around - Partition Magic will alter a
> Windows
> Multiboot "boot.ini" file after any partition is deleted
>
> Thank you in advance for your replies

Hi Kelly,

Good to see you back! Is there anyway we can help you - anything you have
need for?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

> Hi Howard,
>
> Suggestion:
>
> Bing - Boot It Next Generation
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
>

> "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> For a certain project, I need to hide an Active Local drive partition
>>
>> Temporally, switching the Active partition from one partition to another
>> does not satisfy the goals of this project
>>
>> I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an
>> Active
>> Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
>> Active
>>
>> The only current solution I have at this time is Symantec Partition Magic
>> and that involves a work around. For this to work, I have to create a
>> temporary Primary partition, then (2) mark said temporary Primary
>> partition
>> Active and then (3) delete said Primary partition - this will leave all
>> prior
>> drives uneffected and no drives Active on the hard drive
>>
>> One side effect of this work around - Partition Magic will alter a
>> Windows
>> Multiboot "boot.ini" file after any partition is deleted
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your replies

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001

Thank you for your reply

I downloaded the application "Boot It - Next Generation" that you suggested

In order to totally unmark an Active Local drive (have no partitions marked
Active on the Local drive), it seems like you have to do the same work around
as Partition Magic

It seems like you have to create a new partition - mark the new one Active -
and then delete the new one - in order to wind up with just the original
drives - none marked Active ???

Is there an easier way of doing this particular task ???

Am I missing something here ????

"Howard" wrote:

> For a certain project, I need to hide an Active Local drive partition
>
> Temporally, switching the Active partition from one partition to another
> does not satisfy the goals of this project
>
> I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an Active
> Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
> Active
>
> The only current solution I have at this time is Symantec Partition Magic
> and that involves a work around. For this to work, I have to create a
> temporary Primary partition, then (2) mark said temporary Primary partition
> Active and then (3) delete said Primary partition - this will leave all prior
> drives uneffected and no drives Active on the hard drive
>
> One side effect of this work around - Partition Magic will alter a Windows
> Multiboot "boot.ini" file after any partition is deleted
>
> Thank you in advance for your replies

kelly

Thanks, Richard. All seems to be getting back to normal by the day. :eek:)

--

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Kelly,
>
> Good to see you back! Is there anyway we can help you - anything you have
> need for?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner

>> Hi Howard,
>>
>> Suggestion:
>>
>> Bing - Boot It Next Generation
>> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>
>> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
>> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
>>

>> "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> For a certain project, I need to hide an Active Local drive partition
>>>
>>> Temporally, switching the Active partition from one partition to another
>>> does not satisfy the goals of this project
>>>
>>> I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an
>>> Active
>>> Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
>>> Active
>>>
>>> The only current solution I have at this time is Symantec Partition
>>> Magic
>>> and that involves a work around. For this to work, I have to create a
>>> temporary Primary partition, then (2) mark said temporary Primary
>>> partition
>>> Active and then (3) delete said Primary partition - this will leave all
>>> prior
>>> drives uneffected and no drives Active on the hard drive
>>>
>>> One side effect of this work around - Partition Magic will alter a
>>> Windows
>>> Multiboot "boot.ini" file after any partition is deleted
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for your replies

Glad to hear that!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

> Thanks, Richard. All seems to be getting back to normal by the day. :eek:)
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
>

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:%23ZTc0LgtFHA.736@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Kelly,
>>
>> Good to see you back! Is there anyway we can help you - anything you have
>> need for?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Howard,
>>>
>>> Suggestion:
>>>
>>> Bing - Boot It Next Generation
>>> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> All the Best,
>>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>>
>>> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
>>> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
>>>

>>> "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

SwingDancer

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I am looking for a DOS tool / application that will easily unmark an Active
Local hard drive to a state were none of the drive partitions are marked
Active
Here's a solution that's already installed in Windows.

Open up a command prompt and type DISKPART.
Type LIST DISK
Type SELECT DISK n (where n is the number of the old Win98 drive)
Type LIST PARTITION
Type SELECT PARTITION n (where n is the number of the active partition you wish to make inactive)
Type INACTIVE
Type EXIT to exit DISKPART
Type EXIT again to exit the command prompt
Restart