Dell Educational Laptop "Specials" - ripoff??

Hi,

I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of their
site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?

Thanks!

"minnehaha" <blah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
> I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of
> their
> site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
> hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
> exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
> What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
> some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
> advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?
>
> Thanks!

Build the same system on the 'small business' site. It might even be less
than that.....

Stew

"minnehaha" <blah@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
>I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of their
>site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
>hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
>exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
>What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
>some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
>advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?

You were. Apples and oranges. The $1189 [now shown as $1100 on
special at $1050] was not the same as the model shown on the
Home/Home office page. It had the 15" TFT screen vice the 14.1",
512 MB ram vice 256 MB, etc., etc., etc.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=2231&l=en&s=eep#

[If you're short stopped at a login page, this click on the "If
you don't ... click here" link below the login block, and the
/all laptops/ link I've posted should come right up.]

When I checked the base model on both, the Educational side was
offering it at $804 on a $50 off deal on the "norm" of $854.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx?c=us&cs=2231&id=inspn&l=en&s=eep

[If you're short stopped at a login page, this click on the "If
you don't ... click here" link below the login block, and the
/all laptops/ link I've posted should come right up.]

Home/Home office was $849 after the same $50-off deal that is
apparently going on this weekend.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

So your educational side saves you $45 on the base, nothing added
on/changed, Inspiron 1150.
--
OJ III

minnehaha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
> I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of their
> site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
> hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
> exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
> What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
> some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
> advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?

Have you tried your school's bookstore or computer center?

Although somewhat limited in selection, there are often some
great prices to be found.

Notan

Make sure you are comparing not only the hardware cost, but the service and
support/warranty plan as well. Most of the education packages include a
3-year complete care warranty.

NEVER buy a notebook computer with less than 3 years of coverage.

"minnehaha" <blah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
> I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of
their
> site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
> hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
> exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
> What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
> some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
> advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?
>
> Thanks!

>Hi, I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
>I'm a grad student.....
>What am I missing here? .....or am I missing something totally obvious?

Congrats, your education has not been for not. Just because the sign on the
outside window says Sale!, it does not mean the price is lower.

Just where were you told a student is owed a deal on anything. Maybe you should
add a class on marketing next semester and consider this your first lesson in
Life 101....

"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

> >Hi, I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their
website.
> >I'm a grad student.....
> >What am I missing here? .....or am I missing something totally obvious?

> Congrats, your education has not been for not.

naught

>Just because the sign on the
> outside window says Sale!, it does not mean the price is lower.

WOW, REALLY!?!?!!?

> Just where were you told a student is owed a deal on anything.

I guess you've never been to college. There are student discounts on just
about everything.

>Maybe you should
> add a class on marketing next semester and consider this your first lesson
in
> Life 101....

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

You do that, while you are at it you might want to retake Troll 101.

Mercury wrote:

> You do that, while you are at it you might want to retake Troll 101.

Do they also offer MYOB 101???

> "minnehaha" <blah@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>website.

>>>Congrats, your education has not been for not.
>>
>>naught
>>

>>>Just because the sign on the
>>>outside window says Sale!, it does not mean the price is lower.
>>
>>WOW, REALLY!?!?!!?
>>

>>>Just where were you told a student is owed a deal on anything.
>>
>>I guess you've never been to college. There are student discounts on just
>>about everything.
>>

>>>Maybe you should
>>>add a class on marketing next semester and consider this your first
>
> lesson
>
>>in
>>
>>>Life 101....
>>
>>Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Tyler

Where I live, many of the "Rent to Own" places feature Dell. The people in
the trailor parks who cannot get credit or will never have enough $$ to buy
a PC love Dell. You get what you pay for. If you want a quality laptop, pick
up the IBM Thinkpad series. A big cut above Dell
"minnehaha" <blah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
> I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of
their
> site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
> hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
> exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
> What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
> some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
> advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?
>
> Thanks!

I love my Thinkpad X40 -- there is nothing else like it and it
consisentently wins any 'best subnote' test out there.

But, at a price. Darned expensive compared to Dell.

Tom
"Tyler" <jsTyler@msn.com> wrote in message
> Where I live, many of the "Rent to Own" places feature Dell. The people in
> the trailor parks who cannot get credit or will never have enough $$ to
buy
> a PC love Dell. You get what you pay for. If you want a quality laptop,
pick
> up the IBM Thinkpad series. A big cut above Dell

Agreed. I have a couple of second-hand 5-year old ThinkPads that keep on
running and running and running. I also give them good care... Ben Myers

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:45:14 -0400, "Tyler" <jsTyler@msn.com> wrote:

>Where I live, many of the "Rent to Own" places feature Dell. The people in
>the trailor parks who cannot get credit or will never have enough $$ to buy
>a PC love Dell. You get what you pay for. If you want a quality laptop, pick
>up the IBM Thinkpad series. A big cut above Dell
>"minnehaha" <blah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
>> I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of
>their
>> site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For the
>> hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found the
>> exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
>> What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would get
>> some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
>> advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?
>>
>> Thanks!

mk

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Dell is a rip off- Even if you get a 5 year warranty and all. Don't buy
Dell! they make the worst laptops ever!
"Mercury" <Mercury@matchmail.net> wrote in message
> You do that, while you are at it you might want to retake Troll 101.
>
> "minnehaha" <blah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > website.
> >

> > > Congrats, your education has not been for not.
> >
> > naught
> >

> > >Just because the sign on the
> > > outside window says Sale!, it does not mean the price is lower.
> >
> > WOW, REALLY!?!?!!?
> >

> > > Just where were you told a student is owed a deal on anything.
> >
> > I guess you've never been to college. There are student discounts on
just
> > about everything.
> >

> > >Maybe you should
> > > add a class on marketing next semester and consider this your first
> lesson
> > in
> > > Life 101....
> >
> > Yeah, I'll get right on that.

While you may or may not be right about Dell's laptops (Never had a problem
with ours), I find it odd that you must make your point by assuming if one
lives in a trailer they can not get credit. I know plenty of fine people
that live in trailers. Our family has a 3 bedroom Double-wide we use as a
cottage home in the Thousand Islands and my brother-in-law has placed his on
the 165 acres he owns in New York's Adirondack Mtns. I think those that work
for his company would be quite surprised that he can't get credit!! I know
my credit is fine. Some just prefer the simple life and there is just as
much (probably more) trash living in frame homes as there are
trailers/modulars.
Maybe it is just the particular trailer park you live in that has this
problem.

"Tyler" <jsTyler@msn.com> wrote in message
> Where I live, many of the "Rent to Own" places feature Dell. The people in
> the trailor parks who cannot get credit or will never have enough $$ to
buy
> a PC love Dell. You get what you pay for. If you want a quality laptop,
pick
> up the IBM Thinkpad series. A big cut above Dell
> "minnehaha" <blah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm in the market for a Dell laptop and was poking around their website.
> > I'm a grad student so I decided to check out the Education section of
> their
> > site where they sell an Inspiron 1150 with a base price of $1189. For
the
> > hell of it I looked in their Home & Home Office section where I found
the
> > exact same computer (as far as I could tell) with a base price of $849.
> > What am I missing here? I thought we impoverished grad students would
get
> > some kind of deal, but rather it looks like they're trying to take
> > advantage. Is this for real or am I missing something totally obvious?
> >
> > Thanks!

"minnehaha" <blah@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Maybe you should
>>add a class on marketing next semester and consider this your first lesson in
>>Life 101....

>Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Which almost certainly would include not mistakenly comparing an
upgraded machine at the educational site with the basic machine
shown at the Home/Home Business site. Apparently you were not
taught how to do that during your undergraduate studies, so you
are long past due for the Life 101 make-up class. You should
"get right on that", lest you suffer outrageous misfortune once
leaving the Halls of Academia and entering Real Life[TM] - where
it behooves one to know the difference between apples and
oranges.

As noted in my other post, as of yesterday your educational
discount on that baseline 1150 was $45, 5.3% of the H/HO price of
$849, or $804 on the educational site. [Prices absent taxes and
shipping, but including a $50 discount at both sites - weekend or
end-of-month deal, maybe.]
--
OJ III

Tyler

Nope, I've never lived in a trailor or trailor park. Can you say "Redneck"?