everytime I sign into msnmessenger 7.5 on my computer, a few minutes later Im
told in a pop-up blue box that I've signed in on another computer, click here
to sign in again.

There is no other computer. What is going on, and how do I stop it?

dennist685

Just because you have installed MSN Messenger 7.5 does not mean that you are
not also using Windows Messenger, which comes with Windows XP. Windows
Messenger is needed for some tasks that MSN Messenger is not capable of.

The problem is that when you boot the computer, Windows Messenger is
starting before MSN Messenger. Therefore, the system has to sign you out of
Windows Messenger before MSN Messenger will initiate.

To fix:

1. Start Windows Messenger.
2. Go to tools/options
3. Remove checks from start with windows and run in background
4. Close Windows messenger
5. Open Outlook Express
6. Go to tools/options
7. Remove check from automatically logon to Windows Messenger
8. Save/exit

Now, reboot your computer. You should find that the computer will now start
MSN Messenger without first having to log you off of Windows Messenger.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"dennist685" <dennist685@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> everytime I sign into msnmessenger 7.5 on my computer, a few minutes later
> Im
> told in a pop-up blue box that I've signed in on another computer, click
> here
> to sign in again.
>
> There is no other computer. What is going on, and how do I stop it?
>
> dennist685

So far, so good.; however, even when I closed windows messenger, its icon is
in the tray, but I'm not signed in.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> Just because you have installed MSN Messenger 7.5 does not mean that you are
> not also using Windows Messenger, which comes with Windows XP. Windows
> Messenger is needed for some tasks that MSN Messenger is not capable of.
>
> The problem is that when you boot the computer, Windows Messenger is
> starting before MSN Messenger. Therefore, the system has to sign you out of
> Windows Messenger before MSN Messenger will initiate.
>
> To fix:
>
> 1. Start Windows Messenger.
> 2. Go to tools/options
> 3. Remove checks from start with windows and run in background
> 4. Close Windows messenger
> 5. Open Outlook Express
> 6. Go to tools/options
> 7. Remove check from automatically logon to Windows Messenger
> 8. Save/exit
>
> Now, reboot your computer. You should find that the computer will now start
> MSN Messenger without first having to log you off of Windows Messenger.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "dennist685" <dennist685@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> > everytime I sign into msnmessenger 7.5 on my computer, a few minutes later
> > Im
> > told in a pop-up blue box that I've signed in on another computer, click
> > here
> > to sign in again.
> >
> > There is no other computer. What is going on, and how do I stop it?
> >
> > dennist685

Right click/exit

--

> So far, so good.; however, even when I closed windows messenger, its icon
> is
> in the tray, but I'm not signed in.
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Just because you have installed MSN Messenger 7.5 does not mean that you
>> are
>> not also using Windows Messenger, which comes with Windows XP. Windows
>> Messenger is needed for some tasks that MSN Messenger is not capable of.
>>
>> The problem is that when you boot the computer, Windows Messenger is
>> starting before MSN Messenger. Therefore, the system has to sign you out
>> of
>> Windows Messenger before MSN Messenger will initiate.
>>
>> To fix:
>>
>> 1. Start Windows Messenger.
>> 2. Go to tools/options
>> 3. Remove checks from start with windows and run in background
>> 4. Close Windows messenger
>> 5. Open Outlook Express
>> 6. Go to tools/options
>> 7. Remove check from automatically logon to Windows Messenger
>> 8. Save/exit
>>
>> Now, reboot your computer. You should find that the computer will now
>> start
>> MSN Messenger without first having to log you off of Windows Messenger.
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "dennist685" <dennist685@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> > everytime I sign into msnmessenger 7.5 on my computer, a few minutes
>> > later
>> > Im
>> > told in a pop-up blue box that I've signed in on another computer,
>> > click
>> > here
>> > to sign in again.
>> >
>> > There is no other computer. What is going on, and how do I stop it?
>> >
>> > dennist685

post to the specific newsgroup:-

regards,
ssg MS-MVP