Seeking Windows 7 CD key help

coolman1234556789

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Hello! I am a new PC Builder. I have an hp g60 laptop that is running windows 7 home premium sp1. The original version of windows on that hp g60 is vista. If I system restore that laptop back down to vista, could i use that windows 7 product key on my new build? Keep in mind that the upgrade disc hp sent me was a upgrade disc for vista home premium to windows 7 home premium. My friend also recently built his pc and he has an oem windows 7 sp1. If I use his disc to install windows on my system, can i still use that windows 7 cd key from my hp g60 to install windows?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Vista and Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^