Fixing the SP2 Wireless Problem

Last response: in Networking
a b F Wireless
August 30, 2004 12:45:27 PM

If you've installed SP2 and find your MSBN wireless no
longer works (apparently a lot of people have had the
problem) try the following:

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click My Computer.
3. Click Manage.

4. In Computer Management, double-click Services and
Applications.
5. Then click Services.

6. Right-click Wireless Zero Configuration,
7. Then click Properties.

8. In the Startup type box, click to select Disabled.
9. Then click OK.

10. Close Computer Management,
11. Then restart the computer.

It worked for me, maybe it will work for you as well.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 30, 2004 5:42:44 PM

Thanks John,

I tried your fix and all is well now. Apparently the wirless zero config
service was conflicting with the BNU.

I attempted to try the "don't use the BNU method" by telling msconfig not to
start the utility and still could not configure using the wireless setup
utility in SP 2. It would not let me complete the configuration....

"John Singel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If you've installed SP2 and find your MSBN wireless no
> longer works (apparently a lot of people have had the
> problem) try the following:
>
> 1. Click Start.
> 2. Right-click My Computer.
> 3. Click Manage.
>
> 4. In Computer Management, double-click Services and
> Applications.
> 5. Then click Services.
>
> 6. Right-click Wireless Zero Configuration,
> 7. Then click Properties.
>
> 8. In the Startup type box, click to select Disabled.
> 9. Then click OK.
>
> 10. Close Computer Management,
> 11. Then restart the computer.
>
> It worked for me, maybe it will work for you as well.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 30, 2004 6:16:31 PM

actually the solution is just the opposite. you need to uninstall the
Broadband Networking Utility and use Windows XP's built in wireless zero
configuration feature to configure and manage your wireless card. if you
need to manage a Microsoft base station, use a web browser
http://192.168.2.1

the BNU is really only for non XP computers. it does not offer WPA security.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Yeah, but just recently there was a software upgrade on
this site which was specifically described to prepare our
existing Microsoft-hardware wireless networks to be ready
for SP2.

I spend many hours wrestling with the over the weekend (as
I'm sure thousands of others did) before finally removing
SP2, and I would have to say there is no excuse for
Microsoft releasing SP2 and having it incompatible with
their own hardware.

So there.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 30, 2004 6:16:32 PM

don't fully understand and as result could ultimately
cause us a lot more grief, is Microsoft going to come out
with a patch?
August 30, 2004 6:16:33 PM

So Microsoft, which is it? The BNU or wireless zero?
Will wireless zero also tell you when your basestation
needs a firmware update like BNU does?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 30, 2004 7:36:53 PM

Look, you can *run* the NEW BNU, but don't use it to configure your wireless
card. Use XP to do this. But if all you are running it for is to be notified
of upgrades, just drag it out of the startup group onto your desktop and run
it once a month or so.

The issue is that the BNU should not be used to configure a wireless card IF
you are using XP.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

It definitely is compatible.

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
2f4d01c48ec3$8bd97df0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Yeah, but just recently there was a software upgrade on
> this site which was specifically described to prepare our
> existing Microsoft-hardware wireless networks to be ready
> for SP2.
>
> I spend many hours wrestling with the over the weekend (as
> I'm sure thousands of others did) before finally removing
> SP2, and I would have to say there is no excuse for
> Microsoft releasing SP2 and having it incompatible with
> their own hardware.
>
> So there.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 30, 2004 11:16:34 PM

Look, they probably won't. As everyone's been trying to tell everyone else
THERE'S NO NEED FOR THE BROADBAND UTILITY IN XP except if you want to check
for updates, which you can do manually via the web or by running the Utility
once every few weeks or so.

I don't understand your logic... if you're having trouble with something,
*why* are you afraid of doing a fix that everyone that knows more than you
is telling you will work? Do you think you'll "break it more"?

Just try it - it works.

"martyv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

[long string of stuff clipped]
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 30, 2004 11:55:04 PM

Barb,

So, help thousands of us out here. We have existing
wireless networks running on XP that we set up with the
Microsoft Broadband Network Utility.

We now need to install SP2.

OUR QUESTION: What do we do, and in what sequence?

Thanks, and if you get around to answering this, please
ask Microsoft to put it on the website!

Paul
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 31, 2004 1:10:21 AM

Barb,

Thanks for your suggestions. I used the wireless zero tool to configure the
MN-510 and dragged the BNU icon from the startup folder to the desktop and
the whole system seems happy now. I must say that that I had to explore a
bit to figure out how to launch the config tool. After I discovered that it
was a simple right click and view available wireless networks I felt rather
dumb. At any rate thanks again for your help and patience.

Michael

"Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Look, you can *run* the NEW BNU, but don't use it to configure your
> wireless card. Use XP to do this. But if all you are running it for is to
> be notified of upgrades, just drag it out of the startup group onto your
> desktop and run it once a month or so.
>
> The issue is that the BNU should not be used to configure a wireless card
> IF you are using XP.
>
> Bryan wrote:
>> So Microsoft, which is it? The BNU or wireless zero?
>> Will wireless zero also tell you when your basestation
>> needs a firmware update like BNU does?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 31, 2004 9:29:27 AM

download but do not install the update for MSBBN from
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...

remove the BNU utility from the startup group by dragging it from the
programs menu, startup to your desktop.

exit the BNU if it is running bu right clicking the icon in the
notification area.

download and apply SP2 from windows update or autoupdate

after SP2 reboots, install the MSBBN update you downloaded

delete the shortcut you dragged to your desktop

decide whether or not you want to always run the BNU (but use windows
to configure your wireless adapter and not the BNU). if you don't want
to always run it, drag it from the startup group to your desktop

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

yeah this isnt right i never used the dumb wireless
management software that came with the card even when i
was running sp1 so know i have sp2 and i loose network
connectivity every few seconds and sometimes my system
lags bad, and when i loose connectivity i run ipconfig and
get a paragraph of text saying to call their support line
and something about an unknown error code. the funniest
part is that it runs better under linux!

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 3, 2004 11:05:50 PM

If you're not using WPA, make sure you turn off the 802.1x Authentication in
the Properties of your LAN connection.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC