Sign in with
Your question

Using Athlon XP-M in a desktop board

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2004 12:02:55 PM

Hi.I've just spotted a mobile athlon XP 1800+ tbred for sale on the cheap and i was thinking of buying it to put in a new pc i am building for my parents so i could make it as quiet as possible.Would it work ok in a normal desktop socket a mobo?Also, i notice it works at 1.4v but does anyone know what kind of wattage it uses?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ad_rach on 02/02/04 02:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : athlon desktop board

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2004 12:14:37 PM

I'm not sure if it will work at all, but if it does, at least I'm pretty sure PowerNow! won't work unfortunately.

If your motherboard supports 1.4v, I'd give you a 90% chance it will work (but without Powernow), but I aint guaranteeing a thing. Maybe check with the manufacturer of the motherboard ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
February 2, 2004 12:19:11 PM

I'm not worried about powernow because the low voltage should be enough to allow quiet cooling.Partly buying it as a novelty to be honest :smile: .As for the motherboard, i plan to replace their MS-6378, probably with an MSI 745 Ultra.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
Related resources
February 2, 2004 12:36:33 PM

i think it will work, cos there is one review i read i forget where, they used a mobile athlon xp on descktop and a descktop athlonxp on a mobile board, for testing, both worked verry well, and the performance where identical (yeah the mobile version of the xp is as fast as the standard xp processor, but the mobile chipsets where too slow. And power now will not work, thats for sure.
February 2, 2004 1:03:12 PM

It'll work, but the multipliers will map out weird. So there will probably be a lot of trial and error involved in finding the right multiplier. Just make sure you have a board that allows mult. changes!

<b>Qui habet aures audiendi audiat</b>
February 2, 2004 1:23:08 PM

I know that the 745 Ultra does allow multiplier changes so it should be ok if i do get that board.Why would the multipliers be messed up?

February 2, 2004 1:57:50 PM

I was just thinking-i have currently got an xp2400 in my NF7-S oc'd to 210X10.5 at 1.85v, do you reckon i could do better with that XP-M 1800?It is one of the better 1.4V versions so i could theoretically get a lot out of it and still keep it cooler than my current cpu.What do people think?Do tbred b XP-Ms overclock as well as normal tbred bs?

February 2, 2004 11:01:40 PM

Bump!

!