Sign in with
Your question

My TV seems a bit laggy, any help?

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 24, 2013 9:15:50 PM

I have about an 8 month old hdtv, it's a vizio m320sl and I'm having 2 issues. I'm using it as a monitor for my pc andit is rated at 120hz refresh rate, however in the settings I see it can only go 60hz. Also it seems to be a bit laggy sometimes, for instance (and really the only time I ever notice) when I turn my pc on it lags. Like I won't be able to see the bios flash thing, and I miss it even loading windows sometimes. I'll turn my pc on (and the tv already being on) and it will take long enough where I only see the last bit or so of the loading windows screen (I do have an SSD so it isn't like a 1 minute delay). It never did this with my xbox.
for reference I'm using hdmi cable if that matters.

More about : bit laggy

February 26, 2013 5:42:50 PM

This is just a guess but until the video driver loads the HDMI output may not be active so you are not getting any video til then. This wouldn't be described as a 'lag' issue.
As to the refresh rate the TV is described as having a "120hz effective refresh rate".
That may mean that they use some processing to be able to say 120hz but not actually be able to do it.
m
l
February 27, 2013 4:28:49 PM

120hz televisions display at 120hz but only accept a 60hz input signal. there lies your problem.

when the monitor processes (fakes) in the extra frames you can notice a delay when using it as a pc screen.

does your tv have a 60hz mode, game mode or pc mode? ultimately this is what you want (60hz display rate).

perhaps your tv automatically detects this and stutters a few times while your pc display drivers are being loaded. the order which you turn on devices can also matter. for instance if i turn the pc on and then my tv/receiver i will not have a display until windows loads. this is a result of autodetect i am betting. if i have the tv on first though i see bios, raid and winload.
m
l
!