I think I broke it...

All:

I have a MSI K7N2 Motherboard with an AMD 2200+ CPU. What I did was not smart, but here it is. I changed the detected 100MHz FSB setting to 133MHz. DEAD. System will not respond even after clearing CMOS. Can this kill the CPU and or the motherboard? Any way to check see which is dead? UGH...

Thanks all!
16 answers Last reply
More about broke
  1. strange...

but if you smell smoke its probably burned

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb pc3200 (3-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X
  2. I just removed all components including the AGP Radeon 9600 and put a simple VGA PCI card. No workie! Is the Mobo usually dead or the CPU or both?
  3. Try removing the motherboard battery for 30 seconds. Then you'll know for sure the cmos is reset.
  4. Yes! You did break it! At least I think you did.

I'd take the battery out for a few HOURS, set it to 100MHz and set the jumper that allows you to mod settings in BIOS to not allow it. If that doesn't fix it, you may need a new BIOS chip. It turns out that sometimes these boards don't clear BIOS properly, I talked to an MSI tech about it and he sent me a BIOS chip free.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  5. But as a matter of fact,2200+ is 133M FBS,isn't it?
  6. Take out ram. Power on. Put ram in.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
  7. Let me rephrase that. Take out ram. Power on. Power Off. Put Ram back.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
  8. On some boards to clear the CMOS chip you simply take the battery out but now on my A7N8X Deluxe and the A7V8X-X they want you to move a jumper from pin 1:2 to 2:3 to erase the BIOS settings.

Since we had such a hard time with the Kingston DDR 400 and trying a few settings to get it working we had to clear the BIOS a few times just like that in order to get control of the Main Board back.

In most cases a protected BIOS is provided for by ASUS I am not sure if MSI provides the same thing. Years ago I figured MSI as bottom dollar bargain basement motherboards and never used them.

However they have made technological leaps this last year alone and had some real serious overclockers and system hounds praising them. I find it curious that his board is still not bootable. It should have halted the system at POST and never really got near his CPU so it looks like he simply needs to clean the CMOS/BIOS chip.

If his board supports it he should remove the power cord then the battery and move the RTC RAM jumper from Normal to Clear CMOS location proly jumper 2:3 then put it back to normal 1:2 and re-install his battery then power his system back up.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
    A7N8X Deluxe
    Liquid 12 Celsius
    2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
    GeForce FX5900
    Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
    SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
    SONY DVD 16x/40x
  9. Your mobo has a safe mode boot jumper. If the computer fails to boot because of fsb settings, you need to change this jumper. It is called jumper 10 and is above the firewire connectors. Set the jumper to 1-2 for safe mode, then boot the computer, and change your bios settings. Afterwards you can reset to the 2-3 position.
  10. Actually I've found that with the MSI K7N2 Delta-L (which should be very similar) you can actually find some settings when overclocking that you litterally can't clear. In my situation I tried the battery, the jumper, shorting the battery connections with the battery upside down, nothing worked. Then I tried starting the system with no CPU to force it to loose the CPU settings, and when I put the CPU back in, still nothing. Etc. etc, nothing worked. MSI replaced the chip, that worked.

There are rumors around the net about this problem. I was very surprised that the MSI representative sent me a new BIOS chip without even asking for proof of purchase. It's true. Why would they be so anxious to replace the chip? I think we know.

So I still suggest setting the configuration jumper to the automatic configuration setting and the bus speed jumper to 100MHz, resetting the BIOS, and trying it. And if it doesn't work then, ask MSI for a new chip.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  11. Not garunteed to work, it is possible to find a setting that you simply can't clear.

12. Well you got me on that one Crash the only thing I have to go against that was I have a friend in Texas I built him a computer and mailed it down to him last year after the guy had a heart attack, he was in no condition to replace his older PII 750MHz something SCUSI system.

It was getting old and he wanted to run (BlackHawk Down) that actually says right on the box that it requires a 1 GHz minimum CPU and even after we tried an overclock set-up on his Intel chip the game software was so ignorant it told him to upgrade his computer ???? All that from the NOVALOGIC software the guys that gave us DeltaForce Land Warrior that ran on his original and every body else's PII or even AMD 500 MHz systems.

Ok back to the point I gave him in the system I built him a KV 133 ASUS board and a Thunderbird 1.0 GHz that I had and a 64 MB GeForce 2 MMX graphics card plus a 30 Gig Maxtor 4MB cache drive not to bad for free!!

Anyhow his BIOS battery died on him and I gave him the Battery number and he went and got a new one. He was concerned that if he changed out the battery on a powered down system that he would lose all the BIOS settings I originally set-up for his system.

Well..........I told him to power down the P.C pull the cord and as quickly as he could yank the old battery then plop the new one in. He did not lose his BIOS settings but at the same time the CMOS would not update and we found out the Over the Counter replacement battery he got out of a Radio Shack or some such place in KerryVille Texas in other words a 2 horse town was dead!!

He put the old one back in to late it was flat too and his Board sat for 3 days before he drove the 2 hours to town to get another battery well when he plugged it back in and powered the thing up it went right to the desktop before he could even hit the DEL key to check BIOS settings.

I sat on the phone for an hour with him guiding him through his BIOS looking at CPU speeds Ram set-ups and Graphics set to AGP not PCI mode and not a single setting had moved...........Ok you got me beat on not being able to clear the CMOS but I had a board powered down from any power supply for 3 days and it held all settings.

I used to use a PILOT PROGRAMMER that was hooked up into a WIN95 machine to program PROMS for placement on controller cards by robotics.

We had all the different type sockets for each kind of Chip Package and we could plug those into the black box and program 20 30 or 40 CPU's per batch. We could lock the contents of each burn to PROM with the software so it could not be unlocked or decoded at a later date but to totally wipe the PROMS we used for testing we needed to put them in the ultraviolet box for half an hour and nuke them those PROMS have the glass window in the top that allows you to clean the burn but they only last 3 or 4 times then they fail.

I never saw anything like Jim's main board hold a memory in the CMOS like that before the only thing I can think of is the ESSD Write some BIOS do is a permanent placement of information until otherwise written over by replacement code.

This of course brings us back to how many times is it a good idea to go into the BIOS and muck with it. I feel we can do 100's of ESSD writes by changing BIOS settings manually but I think doing a BIOS Flash write is limited to around 3 or 4 times before they burn the code permanently and after that you cant even update BIOS without them going flaky. All that based on the experiences writing different code more then a few times to PROMS for testing cards in various configurations.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
    A7N8X Deluxe
    Liquid 12 Celsius
    GeForce FX5900
    SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
    SONY DVD 16x/40x
  13. First Thanks to All for your inputs! I will try the couple of ideas that I was unaware of. One thing good, I had to get a new mobo and cpu. JUST in case I could not fix this one. 6th home computer! :0
  14. That is kinda of funny. Black hawk down IS the reason I was trying to tweek this machine. Too funny!

Thanks!
  15. Funny thing, I've never had a chip puller for those little square BIOS chips, so I made one myself out of stiff wire. Anyway, when I replaced the BIOS chip it worked. Now, I was going to do a hot swap after entering BIOS configuration, and set the old chip back to appropriate settings, to rescue it, but figured it was too risky.

16. We had the tool looks like you would expect a big black plastic set of tweezers with small tungstun steel J hooks on the end, it had a plastic crossover design to buffer the squeeze force you could apply. Handy tool for PLCC's that is the square chips (they now use for BIOS) that fit into the sockets. They have leads on them and those are called J hook leads the nifty thing about the HOT SWAP is it is only dangerous to the CHIP getting swapped into the board if you pop the original out clean pressing the one to be fixed in is harder.

I have done this 2 times and it worked both times.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
    A7N8X Deluxe
    Liquid 12 Celsius
    GeForce FX5900
    SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
    SONY DVD 16x/40x
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards