Desktop icons order?

Never noticed before, but my icons no longer seem to get sorted into
correct alphabetic order when I use Arrange Icons By>Name. As you see
from the screenshot the two FOLDERS appear to screw things up somehow.

http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/DesktopIcons1.gif

The first column starts off in order OK (apart from the 3 'specials'
like My Computer), and continues in the second column. But then come
those folders (which BTW don't appear to be in any obvious sequence
anyway?), and then the alphabetic order starts *again*.

Anyone know what's up here please? Shouldn't FOLDERS be before all
shortcuts?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
4 answers Last reply

    Terry,

    The first set of shortcuts is from All Users Desktop (
    %Allusersprofile%\Desktop ) and the second set is the per-user Desktop.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Terry,
    >
    >The first set of shortcuts is from All Users Desktop (
    >%Allusersprofile%\Desktop ) and the second set is the per-user Desktop.

    Thanks Ramesh. Have now merged them both into one. BTW, not sure why
    those few went into All Users...

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    You're welcome Terry.

    --

    > You're welcome Terry.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Terry,
    > >>
    > >>The first set of shortcuts is from All Users Desktop (
    > >>%Allusersprofile%\Desktop ) and the second set is the per-user Desktop.
    > >
    > > Thanks Ramesh. Have now merged them both into one. BTW, not sure why
    > > those few went into All Users...

    That's usually the fault of an arrogant program install
    routine, that assumes that the program being installed
    "needs" to be available to anyone who logs on to
    that particular machine...

    > > --
    > > Terry, West Sussex, UK

Desktop Icons Icons Windows XP