Desktop icons order?

September 10, 2005 2:32:49 PM

Never noticed before, but my icons no longer seem to get sorted into
correct alphabetic order when I use Arrange Icons By>Name. As you see
from the screenshot the two FOLDERS appear to screw things up somehow.

http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/DesktopIcons1...

The first column starts off in order OK (apart from the 3 'specials'
like My Computer), and continues in the second column. But then come
those folders (which BTW don't appear to be in any obvious sequence
anyway?), and then the alphabetic order starts *again*.

Anyone know what's up here please? Shouldn't FOLDERS be before all
shortcuts?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

More about : desktop icons order

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 7:53:23 PM

Terry,

The first set of shortcuts is from All Users Desktop (
%Allusersprofile%\Desktop ) and the second set is the per-user Desktop.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Never noticed before, but my icons no longer seem to get sorted into
> correct alphabetic order when I use Arrange Icons By>Name. As you see
> from the screenshot the two FOLDERS appear to screw things up somehow.
>
> http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/DesktopIcons1...
>
> The first column starts off in order OK (apart from the 3 'specials'
> like My Computer), and continues in the second column. But then come
> those folders (which BTW don't appear to be in any obvious sequence
> anyway?), and then the alphabetic order starts *again*.
>
> Anyone know what's up here please? Shouldn't FOLDERS be before all
> shortcuts?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 10:37:46 PM

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>Terry,
>
>The first set of shortcuts is from All Users Desktop (
>%Allusersprofile%\Desktop ) and the second set is the per-user Desktop.

Thanks Ramesh. Have now merged them both into one. BTW, not sure why
those few went into All Users...

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
September 11, 2005 3:23:00 AM

You're welcome Terry.

--

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Terry,
>>
>>The first set of shortcuts is from All Users Desktop (
>>%Allusersprofile%\Desktop ) and the second set is the per-user Desktop.
>
> Thanks Ramesh. Have now merged them both into one. BTW, not sure why
> those few went into All Users...
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 3:23:01 AM

> You're welcome Terry.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
> >
> >>Terry,
> >>
> >>The first set of shortcuts is from All Users Desktop (
> >>%Allusersprofile%\Desktop ) and the second set is the per-user Desktop.
> >
> > Thanks Ramesh. Have now merged them both into one. BTW, not sure why
> > those few went into All Users...

That's usually the fault of an arrogant program install
routine, that assumes that the program being installed
"needs" to be available to anyone who logs on to
that particular machine...

!