oolceeoo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
My CPU is a Pentium 4 3.0ghz not overclocked. My memory is 2x512mb Corsair pc3200 dimms dual channel. When I run CPU-Z, it says that my memory frequency is 200.5mhz. This speed, 200.5mhz, is the same as my Front Side Bus speed on my CPU which is also 200.5mhz.

Here is my question: When I purchased the memory, it said that it was DDR400, which I thought implied that the frequency should be 400mhz. Why is my memory frequency only 200.5 mhz, shouldn't it be 400mhz? What is the difference between FSB and Bus speed? Which gets multiplied by the multiplier in the CPU? I know this is a newbish post but we all gotta start somewhere! I will greatly appreciate any tips, advice, or answers to my questions. Thank you.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Because its DDR double Data Rate.

-------------------------------------------------
Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
To find out what your FSB is actualy you take what ever your CPU says your FSB is and divide by 4 (P4s are quade data rate for Athlons you just divide by 2 since they have double data rate FSB) now your multiplyer is times by your FSB to get how many Clock cicles you get out of your CPU.

you right now have a CPU of 3.0ghz and your FSB is actualy 200 with qaud data rate (so like it says 800) and your multi is 15.

Hope that makes sence

-------------------------------------------------
Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DDR400 runs at 200MHz clock rate. Since it transfers data twice per clock cycle (hence the name Double Data Rate), 200MHz clock rate gives it a 400MHz data rate.

Same goes for the CPU, only using Quad Data Rate.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

oolceeoo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
Thank you for explaining that. One other question. I have a Thermaltake xaser 3 case and my cpu idles at around 30-36C (depending on the room temp) and when I'm playing games it goes up to 51-55C at most. Is this too hot for my cpu while I'm playing games? I am using a stock P4 heatsink and I've been looking at 3rd party heatsinks. Are there any 3rd party heatsinks that are reliable and keep my CPU cooler than a stock heatsink?

Venom

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2001
Yes there are definately better coolers, but if you're not overclocking, I wouldnt bother. Your temps are slightly high, but definately not worrying. If it aint broken don't fix it :)