Still NO NASCAR REVIEWS?

I have talked to Pat and the ruleset should be posted on his website
tomorrow and details and pics. They start shipping tomorrow so I am
stopping by a distributer this week to check it out. But I can still
not believe not one review yet?
Derek

Actually I gave a thumbnail review a couple weeks back but maybe you
missed it or wanted more depth.

Basically it's very fast, as it should be, somewhat fun but does
nothing to make me want to come back for more. It does not turn me off
either and I would play it if it happened to be somwhere I was but I
wouldn't make an effort to seek this machine out. In fact I have not
and will not be making anymore trips to the location to play it.

Al

I get the feeling that not too many care about this title......Dont shoot
me, its just a observation.

--
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.

Still looking for:
E.M. Charlie Angels pinball machine,$100 finders fee.....
E.M. Mata Hari Backglass.....FOUND!!!

John P. Dayhuff wrote:
> I get the feeling that not too many care about this title......Dont shoot
> me, its just a observation.

??What?? What are you observing? Looks like and sounds like tons of
interest from what I have experienced. (Not just the on RGP, I do not
live on here like some). Lots more than Elvis, Sopranos or RIBON

Boyd Bottorff wrote:
> > But I can still not believe not one review yet?
>
> The game hasn't even hit the distributors yet! I know this newsgroup
> tends to do things quickly (like, say, give up on the newest pin a day
> and a half after it's on location), but really, can't we see the
> finished product *before* we start making judgements?

That's _entirely_ the point. You have to take some time to get to know
a game before you can review it. Since MY HOUSE isn't a test location,
that means I have to drive to wherever the game IS on test. (hint:
it's not anywhere close to my house, either!)

And, more importantly, you have to go play it several times and for
quite a few hours to really get the 'feel' for the game and to give it
a fair shake!

While I don't mind reviewing an early release of a game, I have a
serious problem putting my name to anything that I haven't spent a
decent amount of time with!

>I have a serious problem putting my name to anything that I haven't spent a
>decent amount of time with!

Yeah, but c'mon. How many games does it take to get a gut feeling?

Sure, it takes a long time to get familiar with all the rules, but you
can still tell whether the shots are fun, or if the machine plays
uniquely, if it's got a nice flow, etc.

I got bored with Sopranos in 10 games, a nice rulesheet wouldn't have
made any difference!

pinballjim wrote:
> >I have a serious problem putting my name to anything that I haven't spent a
> >decent amount of time with!
>
> Yeah, but c'mon. How many games does it take to get a gut feeling?

A few!

> Sure, it takes a long time to get familiar with all the rules, but you
> can still tell whether the shots are fun, or if the machine plays
> uniquely, if it's got a nice flow, etc.

Fine. It's fun. It has quite a bit of flow, and plays uniquely.
Happy?

No?????

Why not???

Oh yeah, that's right... Because you actually _want_ to know more!
Silly me! :)

>Oh yeah, that's right... Because you actually _want_ to know more!
>Silly me! :)

.....and CPM has a rep to protect.

Some people are standing with a pile of cash in had waiting for some
news on if this new Stern product is going to be worth $4k. I would
want to get a decent review so I knew what to look for in things that I
may not like. Putting out a lousy review can make all your other
reivews look like a pile of BS.

You can't get a nice detailed review without some detailed playing...

Kirb

> They start shipping tomorrow so I am stopping by a distributer this week
> to check it out.

OK...

<bigd849498@cs.com> wrote in message
> I have talked to Pat and the ruleset should be posted on his website
> tomorrow and details and pics. They start shipping tomorrow so I am
> stopping by a distributer this week to check it out. But I can still
> not believe not one review yet?

Hmm, which tomorrow? :)

- Dan

I have played NASCAR at the Stern factory on two different occasions
now. Can I give an "in depth" review? No. I can give you a "general
fist impressions" review, however.

Firstly - The track that goes around the entire playfield - I like it.
Lots of redesigning had to be done to accomplish this and I suppose it
is a matter of opinion as to whether it has 100% paid off. No other
pinball does the "magnet accelerates the ball" thing to this extreme,
that's for sure. Maybe HSII did it more effectively, but still not to
this extreme by using the entire outside perimeter of the playfield.
The music and sound bites/voice-over left me somewhat cold, and the
sound quality is not so great either. The shots are fun, and often
quite difficult. Example - when "extra ball" is lit you have to knock
down 3 drop targets on the extreme right of the play field, not simply
make one shot as usually is the case. The ramps are set back on the
playfield adding a bit of difficultly and I like the flow (or not) back
to the playfield. The deversion of the ball off of the left ramp to the
ball lock is interesting and different, IMHO. The rule set seems fine,
but I don't yet have a deep enough understanding of them to be able to
form a strong opinion. Art work is passable.... it's NASCAR man, what
can you do? Flow is better than normal for a Lawlor pin. Personally,
I don't think flow is everything, but that's just me. Pat is one of my
favorite designers and I suppose that speaks volumes for my feelings
about the ultimate importance of flow. Finally - my son (who is 7)
played a game and absolutely loved it. Not sure what that's supposed
to mean, but having grown up (so far) on a steady diet of pins he can
be a tough critic (loves LOTR, hates TZ).

Ok, that's not exactly a review, but it' all I have for you :)

Terry.

>I forgot.... no one cares. :)

I do, I guess I was just looking at it from the, "I'm gonna dump
quarters in it anyway, give me something to be excited about"
perspective, rather than the "$4k cash in hand if the buzz is good"
perspective.

Do agree that a shallow from the hip review can sometimes be totally
worthless, though. There's plenty of them on pinballreview that aren't
anything more than a rant about flippers or features that work just
fine on maintained machines. Nice to be aware of the potential issues,
but c'mon.

Once again, Kirb has said it better than I could have. Don't worry
though, I am adding new automation code to my site where the reviews
with pics get posted. Oh yeah, that's right... I forgot.... no one
cares. :)

-wolffy

kirb wrote:
>>Oh yeah, that's right... Because you actually _want_ to know more!
>>Silly me! :)
>

> ....and CPM has a rep to protect.
>
> Some people are standing with a pile of cash in had waiting for some
> news on if this new Stern product is going to be worth $4k. I would
> want to get a decent review so I knew what to look for in things that I
> may not like. Putting out a lousy review can make all your other
> reivews look like a pile of BS.
>
> You can't get a nice detailed review without some detailed playing...
>
> Kirb

1) Go to Disrtibutor
2) Buy Nascar
3) Offer for sale 2 days later

:)

Just kidding Derek :)

SilverUnicorn wrote:
> 1) Go to Disrtibutor
> 2) Buy Nascar
> 3) Offer for sale 2 days later

Don't you mean

3) Post for sale ad before opening the box

:)

TRENDING THREADS