Sign in with
Your question

overclocking a P2

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2004 1:35:16 AM

So everybody is talking about Prescott, but I got a question that will bring you back to the 'ol days. I was recently given a P2 350 system, and I was checking the manual <A HREF="http://ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/slot1/440bx/p2b-b/p2b..." target="_new"> ASUS MB here </A> (page 16) and I noticed it had jumpers for setting the multiplier. Now, I thought Intel locked all chips after the Pentium, but this motherboard seems to suggest otherwise.

To be totally honest, I got into computers around the P3 600 days, so I missed the P2. Any comments or info would be much apprecitated.

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue

More about : overclocking

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2004 3:04:34 AM

OMG, you have NO IDEA what you have on your hands, so please SEND IT TO ME!

Your board supports EVERYTHING if you download and install BIOS revision 1014 beta 3. I put a Tualatin Celeron 1100@1466 on one, I even overclocked it to 1650MHz! Using the Upgradeware Slot-T adapter, of course.

If you need the "ATX Form Card" for it (a slot bracket with USB, PS/2, etc), I still have a brand new one here, I used to buy them in bulk.

You have a LOT of jumper settings for bus speed, and that's the only way to overclock your PII 350. Intel did NOT lock the Pentium II 233, 266, or most 300's. But they did lock the PII 350.

You can run low density PC133 on that board, the same as any other standard BX chipset boards.

And for reference, don't just throw a link, I don't use them, they take too long. If the model number hadn't been in the link I would have just said "if he's not going to tell me what it is, screw it".

That particular board would be ideal for making a very compact, portable system.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 3, 2004 4:28:01 PM

Thanks for the reply. My sister is currently running a P233, and going on to her computer is painfully slow, so I managed to get my hands on this. Multiplier locked eh? thought so. but those are the breaks. I do like the sound of putting a P3 slot in there, but that's for later......(I'm currently running a celeron 1.1 oc'd to 1.4, and I don't want my sister having the same speed processor as me :) )

The guy I got this mb from also threw in a usb card, so I think I'm good for exspansion ports for now.

Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2004 10:27:53 PM

Toss the crap USB card and use the onboard USB controller, buy my "ATX Form Card" from me and get use of your onboard USB as well as your PS/2 mouse port.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 4, 2004 2:16:01 AM

My my, aren't we the salesperson? *LOL*

I really don't have the money, but just out of curiosity, what are you asking for it?

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2004 3:35:25 AM

How's $6 including shipping sound?

!