Sign in with
Your question

Mobile working laptop suggestions

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
May 3, 2010 10:54:53 PM

Hi All, Soon I am going to begin working remotely and I want to find a good laptop (or tablet or mobile computer of some sort). Below are the guide questions from the FAQ, i removed the irrelevant ones

1_What is your budget? - Ideally ~$500-$1,000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? between 13-17"

3_What screen resolution do you want? higher res the better really, i do a lot of multitasking etc

5_How much battery life do you need? - This is probably the most important feature. Max.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
I want to be able to handle something like photoshop, but mostly when I work I will be going through a VPN into desktop machines and servers - using excel a lot etc.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? - its not terribly important.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years at least

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? - DVD would be nice

13_What country do you live in? USA, but will be using it in France as well

Thanks!

May 4, 2010 2:45:17 PM

Those look OK, but one problem is the max resolution is only 1366 x 768. That same resolution can be had on physically smaller models. The only reason I'd wan't a larger display is if it also had greater resolution.

How are the new Core i3/5/7 with battery life? I've heard the Core2 is great for long battery life, does that apply to the new ones also?

And to invert that question, if I got a Core2 at 1.6ghz I'm sure the battery would do well, but how powerful is that relatively? Would the slower CPU speed be very noticeable for things like web browsing? how about photoshop?

Thanks!
!