mb - gigabyte 8knxp
ram - 1gb ddr
hd - 1*western digital ide 120gb 7200 rpm
1*western digital sata 250gb
2*seagate sata 120gb - which i am about to run using raid 0
Thermaltake x3 case
thermalright slk-900u heatsink
92mm vantex stealth fan

You would think that my chip would have a fairly low temp right??

Wrong. It stabalises at 55c and if i render video for more than 5 minutes it goes up and over 70. NOT GOOD with a room temp of only 20!!

Anyway to cut a long story short i have tested everything in my computer twice and it can only be a chip malfunction. I know this cause i tested a friends chip with same spec on my machine and it ran ICE COLD.

So i rang intel customers services in the UK today, i havent had time to sort my chip before now as i could not be without it, and they asked for the cpu codes etc no probs but then they wanted the code from the fan and heatsink that came with it. Problem i have threw it away yonks ago i had much bigger fans that i wanted to use.

Does anyone know the codes found on the fan of a 3ghz 800fsb - code on cpu reads sl6wk.

thanks for your help

Jon

Someone please unwire me...the gadgets are taking over!

dennisthe12c

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
I just got the same thing last week. I don't know if this will help but these are the numbers on the fan

A74028-003
110325P04
109X9912TOCO36

SANYO DENKI

good luck

potsy

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
i also have a gigabyte mobo, but its for an AMD Athlon XP. I thought my CPU temps were high as well, but then i read on another board that Gigabyte purposely overstyates the CPU temp by 10 degrees C for saftey reasons. so, with my mobo if it reads 50 C, its really 40 C. Possibly they do that on all their mobo's? something you could maybe look into i guess...

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
That may make sense as i have seen lots of posts from 8knxp users but i have used an external temp probe from my thermaltake x3 case and even that reads hot. Plus the heatsink is v.hot to touch so i'm reckoning that it is the chip.

Thanks for your post though. Think i may take my chip to the local PC store and get them to swap chips with one of their machines for comparison.

Jon

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Just out of curiousity, when you tried your friends P4 did you use the same heatsink? if not then maybe your heatsink is defective in some way, and is not making very effective contact with the CPU.

are you sure the heatspreader on your chip is not at all bent or otherwise not perfectly flat and uniform?

Just a couple of thoughts.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Unfortunately i have tried several heatsinks including thermaltake aquarious 2 and thermalright slk947u with a 92mm fan. No luck with either. As for the chip it is in perfect condition and both heatsinks have flawless contact surfaces and i am using only a very very thin layer of arctic silver 3 so dont think it is a contact problem either.

Am pretty sure that it is a problem with the chip.

Cheers for your help though

Jon