Pavilion 6551 128MB DIMM freeze

I've just purchased two 128MB memory modules. 100Mhz, 168 pins, SDRAM,
DIMM, Micron brand as recomended by manual. Micron part No.
MT16LSDT1664AG-10EF7. When installed they are recognized, but system
freezes after some minutes. I've tested both modules independently and
also combined with my previous 64MB
modules interchanging them between DIMM 0 and DIMM 1 sockets. All
combinations fail. There's no chance I get a refund so I really would
like to get them to work since these parts are fully compliant with
what the manual and website state.
My BIOS data is:

Phoenix BIOS
Core 4.06
BIOS revision 1.03 08/20/99

Is there any chance I might need an upgrade?
I have also tested my system with Kingston 128MB modules and the
result is sadly the same.

One possibility is that the added memory causes the system to draw more wattage
than the power supply maximum. HP does use anemic low-wattage power supplies.

Another possibility is heat. Clean out the inside of the chassis thoroughly
with compressed air, with extra attention to fans.

Another possibility is that you have 4-chip DIMMs, which use high density memory
chips. For sure, the Intel 810 chipset on the motherboard accepts DIMMs with
low density chips.

Finally, are all the DIMMs tested and known to be good? What happens if you run
MEMTEST-86, the best free memory test software? ... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<41018204.22850533@news.charter.net>...
> One possibility is that the added memory causes the system to draw more wattage
> than the power supply maximum. HP does use anemic low-wattage power supplies.
>
> Another possibility is heat. Clean out the inside of the chassis thoroughly
> with compressed air, with extra attention to fans.
>
> Another possibility is that you have 4-chip DIMMs, which use high density memory
> chips. For sure, the Intel 810 chipset on the motherboard accepts DIMMs with
> low density chips.
>
> Finally, are all the DIMMs tested and known to be good? What happens if you run
> MEMTEST-86, the best free memory test software? ... Ben Myers
>
> On 23 Jul 2004 13:31:44 -0700, jlvalencia@yahoo.com (J.L.Valencia) wrote:
>
> >I've just purchased two 128MB memory modules. 100Mhz, 168 pins, SDRAM,
> >DIMM, Micron brand as recomended by manual. Micron part No.
> >MT16LSDT1664AG-10EF7. When installed they are recognized, but system
> >freezes after some minutes. I've tested both modules independently and
> >also combined with my previous 64MB
> >modules interchanging them between DIMM 0 and DIMM 1 sockets. All
> >combinations fail. There's no chance I get a refund so I really would
> >like to get them to work since these parts are fully compliant with
> >what the manual and website state.
> >My BIOS data is:
> >
> >Phoenix BIOS
> >Core 4.06
> >BIOS revision 1.03 08/20/99
> >
> >Is there any chance I might need an upgrade?
> >I have also tested my system with Kingston 128MB modules and the
> >result is sadly the same.

Thanks for your reply. I ended up installing this memory on a Pavilion
8241, which has a bigger chassis. It might be a cooling issue, or
perhaps the power supply as you mention. Anyway, they're working fine
in that machine, though that wasn't the plan.