Huge PC Problem need Help!

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Hi, This morning upon starting my computer something weird happend, first it would read my CPU as a Athlon XP 1900+ (as opossed of an XP 2500+ which is the real speed) and ehenver it got to the Windows XP logo before starting, it would restart automatically, and it kept doing this, no Idea why.
No, I just had to restart with the option that said "last known good config to work" so it can at least barely start, but I have my video all messed up, and I dunno whats going on with my PC, anyone know?

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
AH hmmm go out and buy a new battery for your BIOS chip.....located on your motherboard there is a watch type shaped battery around the size of a quarter.

After you install the new battery reset your CPU speed and any other things that should be CORRECTLY set and your system will boot normaly.

Access your BIOS setup by tapping the DEL key during the forst 30 seconds the computer is booting/starting.

P.S read some other posts you might find some answers on this very page of posts.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

DeEvolution

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2004
While a battery failure is a possibility, I would be more inclined to believe that it was something more like a power supply failure and that the motherboard is implementing a 'safe' mode because the CPU is underpowered.

"Sad is the elephant upon the ice who went to put on his wooly coat only to realize that he left it in his other trunk." - DeEvolution

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
yeah, try setting values in your bios to it's appropriate settings - save the settings and exit - power off your computer wait for 30minutes or so.
When you power back up go into bios and see if the settings and CMOS date/time is correct. Most notably if you have any year other than 2003/2004 for your CMOS date/time then you have a flat battery.

Otherwise, you should consider the second suggestion that you have an aging power supply.

A fine day!