Dell motherboards

Can you take either a Dell 4300 or a Dell 8200 motherboard and put it into
an aftermarket case? Are they the standard ATX type motherboards?

They're not standard ATX motherboards. Which is not to say that you couldn't
find some case out there that would accomodate them. But you won't be able
to use standard parts to build a computer from a Dell motherboard.

Rocky

"CCK" <mr_mustang01gt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Can you take either a Dell 4300 or a Dell 8200 motherboard and put it into
> an aftermarket case? Are they the standard ATX type motherboards?

I was just thinking about puting it into a larger case and keeping all the
same parts. I know much of their stuff is Dell and Dell only.

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> They're not standard ATX motherboards. Which is not to say that you
couldn't
> find some case out there that would accomodate them. But you won't be able
> to use standard parts to build a computer from a Dell motherboard.
>
> Rocky
>
> "CCK" <mr_mustang01gt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Can you take either a Dell 4300 or a Dell 8200 motherboard and put it
into
> > an aftermarket case? Are they the standard ATX type motherboards?

I believe you're going to run into a problem with the CPU fan/shroud
assembly. It only fits into a Dell case.

Perhaps Dell will eventually offer the option of ordering a cooler looking
case.

>I believe you're going to run into a problem with the CPU fan/shroud
> assembly. It only fits into a Dell case.
>
> Perhaps Dell will eventually offer the option of ordering a cooler looking
> case.
>
> Rocky
>
> "CCK" <mr_mustang01gt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> I was just thinking about puting it into a larger case and keeping all
>> the
>> same parts. I know much of their stuff is Dell and Dell only.

<snip>

My suggestion is if you're going to go to all of that trouble you may as
well just get a new system board, as good one likely would cost you less
that $100. Then just move your cpu, RAM, drives, and cards over.

HOWEVER, even if you went in that direction, your Dell version of Windows
will require activation and your PCI sound card (if you have one) will
likely not be able to use a front headphone jack option. You'd also have to
buy a new heatsink for your CPU.

Devil and the deep blue sea.

Stew

TRENDING THREADS