Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Basic OS question (Windows 7)

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
April 11, 2010 1:25:53 PM

Hey everyone. I have, what I feel, should be a simple question for those that are software developers. My question involves how data moves through a computer. My current setup is 2X128GB SSD drives in a RAID0 as my boot volume. I then have 2X500GB drives for my games and gaming software (steam) and then 2X2TB drives for my iTunes storage.

With that being said I use my iTunes to store my music and video then stream it or sync it to my AppleTV.

My question is this. I know that SSDs have limited WRITE cycles and thus have used the other drives so that we are not writing to the boot volume. However I want to confirm that this is the way it should work. For instance when launching steam it should launch from the drive where it is installed but does it write information to the Boot volume??? or does it simply go into RAM.

Same with iTunes. When streaming or syncing movies/music with my Appletv does it pass through the boot volume first??
Copying files - same question. When copying from my itunes directory to a backup source (drobo in this case) does each file pass through the OS boot drive thus limiting the number of write cycles I have left to use.

Or am I just being paranoid and should not worry about this...

More about : basic question windows

April 11, 2010 1:44:36 PM

Just as an added note. I disabled the swap file on the SSDs and moved it to one of the gaming hdds (7200 rpm seagates)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 11, 2010 4:09:45 PM

when you installed steam, some info was installed in C:, so a little writing witheach use is expected, but after that you are using the drive the game is installed in, iTunes not sure but if the streaming software is in C:, some cache maybe taking place in the C: drive, synching definitly, the OS controlles the synch
worried about write cycles, if they are newer drives probably not a issue, disabling swap files from the SSD's may help the life but isn't that defeating the reason for using SSD's
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2010 4:43:40 PM

i have 8gb of ram so swapping should not be a problem even on a 64 bit OS. and yes its the kingston vnow series. not the plus just the standard ones. so just limited the swap file to 250 mb and put it on one of the faster drives.. i hated watching the OS swap for simple tasks such as launching programs i would see faults/100 for a few seconds even on items like MSIE or AIM or yahoo. And the worst part is it would swap w.o using ram first. so disable swap on the boot drive place a small swap with min and max at 250 on a second drive reduced the number of faults/100 i saw GREATLY
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 11, 2010 5:21:26 PM

Cool
m
l