Program Too Big To Fit Into Memory During Install

I recently downloaded the Indigo Prophecy Demo (Game) from fileplanet and
when executing the installer a dos window would pop up and disapear real
quick. So I ran the setup from command prompt and it ended up saying
"Program Too Big To Fit Into Memory". At first I thought this was just a
problem with this demo, until I tried to install the Starship Troopers Demo
(Game) and it tried to install a third party audio system during install and
that installer did the exact same thing. I noticed that both of them
appeared to Installshield brand and had the msi files with them. So I am
assuming it's an issue with my computer.

Pentium 3.0
1 gig of ram
geforce 6600 pci-e
windows xp pro sp2

Byte

Check the Indigo website and find out what the system requirements are.
It is probably your Virtual Memory (page file) that is too small.
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Brandon" wrote:

> I recently downloaded the Indigo Prophecy Demo (Game) from fileplanet and
> when executing the installer a dos window would pop up and disapear real
> quick. So I ran the setup from command prompt and it ended up saying
> "Program Too Big To Fit Into Memory". At first I thought this was just a
> problem with this demo, until I tried to install the Starship Troopers Demo
> (Game) and it tried to install a third party audio system during install and
> that installer did the exact same thing. I noticed that both of them
> appeared to Installshield brand and had the msi files with them. So I am
> assuming it's an issue with my computer.
>
> Pentium 3.0
> 1 gig of ram
> geforce 6600 pci-e
> windows xp pro sp2

Do you meet the minimum requirements for the program?
From the Atari web
Minimum System Specs

System Specs:
Operating System: Windows® 98SE/Me/2000/XP
Processor: Pentium® III 800 MHz or faster
Memory: 256 MB RAM
Hard Disk Space: approx 2 GB Free
CD-ROM Drive: 8x Speed
Video: 32 MB Windows® 98/Me/2000/XP-compatible SVGA video card*
Sound: Windows® 98SE/Me/2000/XP-compatible sound card*
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0 (included) or higher

"Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently downloaded the Indigo Prophecy Demo (Game) from fileplanet and
> when executing the installer a dos window would pop up and disapear real
> quick. So I ran the setup from command prompt and it ended up saying
> "Program Too Big To Fit Into Memory". At first I thought this was just a
> problem with this demo, until I tried to install the Starship Troopers
> Demo
> (Game) and it tried to install a third party audio system during install
> and
> that installer did the exact same thing. I noticed that both of them
> appeared to Installshield brand and had the msi files with them. So I am
> assuming it's an issue with my computer.
>
> Pentium 3.0
> 1 gig of ram
> geforce 6600 pci-e
> windows xp pro sp2

yea 3072 mb page file and 30 gigs of free hard drive space.

it's the something with the installer type itself and it appears not to be
limited to the specific game. I execute the installer. A window appears
with a progress bar with messages like configuring windows installer etc.
Basically your typical load window for the actual install wizard (where you
have all of those fancy options like clicking next and whatnot. when it gets
to the point where it goes to load that part, that is when the dos window
pops up and disapears real quickly and nothing happens.

Like I mentioned earlier I also found the same thing happening with part of
another game demo that also used Installshield based install and included the
msi file typed configuration files.

This is a problem I am pretty sure I didn't have a few days ago, So I think
something went corrupt somewhere in my system. And after i submit this, I am
going to look around and see if I can find any other programs I might have
laying around that use the installshield and msi files.
"Richard in AZ" wrote:

> Do you meet the minimum requirements for the program?
> From the Atari web
> Minimum System Specs
>
> System Specs:
> Operating System: Windows® 98SE/Me/2000/XP
> Processor: Pentium® III 800 MHz or faster
> Memory: 256 MB RAM
> Hard Disk Space: approx 2 GB Free
> CD-ROM Drive: 8x Speed
> Video: 32 MB Windows® 98/Me/2000/XP-compatible SVGA video card*
> Sound: Windows® 98SE/Me/2000/XP-compatible sound card*
> DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0 (included) or higher
>
> "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently downloaded the Indigo Prophecy Demo (Game) from fileplanet and
> > when executing the installer a dos window would pop up and disapear real
> > quick. So I ran the setup from command prompt and it ended up saying
> > "Program Too Big To Fit Into Memory". At first I thought this was just a
> > problem with this demo, until I tried to install the Starship Troopers
> > Demo
> > (Game) and it tried to install a third party audio system during install
> > and
> > that installer did the exact same thing. I noticed that both of them
> > appeared to Installshield brand and had the msi files with them. So I am
> > assuming it's an issue with my computer.
> >
> > Pentium 3.0
> > 1 gig of ram
> > geforce 6600 pci-e
> > windows xp pro sp2

Well I found that it happens on at least another game that I know installed a
couple of monthes ago, Area 51. I was mistaken about the files being just
Installshield based. On the properties of each exectuable (on the version
tab) their description is Setup Launcher. Indigo Prophecy and Area 51's
were copyrighted to Macrovision and the one for the Starship Troopers 3rd
party audio thing was Installshield.

So it definitely appears to be connected to "Setup Launcher" setup
executables that also use *.msi (windows installer packages) files for
configuration. And this isn't something that I was having a problem with
even a week ago.

"Brandon" wrote:

> yea 3072 mb page file and 30 gigs of free hard drive space.
>
> it's the something with the installer type itself and it appears not to be
> limited to the specific game. I execute the installer. A window appears
> with a progress bar with messages like configuring windows installer etc.
> Basically your typical load window for the actual install wizard (where you
> have all of those fancy options like clicking next and whatnot. when it gets
> to the point where it goes to load that part, that is when the dos window
> pops up and disapears real quickly and nothing happens.
>
> Like I mentioned earlier I also found the same thing happening with part of
> another game demo that also used Installshield based install and included the
> msi file typed configuration files.
>
> This is a problem I am pretty sure I didn't have a few days ago, So I think
> something went corrupt somewhere in my system. And after i submit this, I am
> going to look around and see if I can find any other programs I might have
> laying around that use the installshield and msi files.
> "Richard in AZ" wrote:
>
> > Do you meet the minimum requirements for the program?
> > From the Atari web
> > Minimum System Specs
> >
> > System Specs:
> > Operating System: Windows® 98SE/Me/2000/XP
> > Processor: Pentium® III 800 MHz or faster
> > Memory: 256 MB RAM
> > Hard Disk Space: approx 2 GB Free
> > CD-ROM Drive: 8x Speed
> > Video: 32 MB Windows® 98/Me/2000/XP-compatible SVGA video card*
> > Sound: Windows® 98SE/Me/2000/XP-compatible sound card*
> > DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0 (included) or higher
> >
> > "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I recently downloaded the Indigo Prophecy Demo (Game) from fileplanet and
> > > when executing the installer a dos window would pop up and disapear real
> > > quick. So I ran the setup from command prompt and it ended up saying
> > > "Program Too Big To Fit Into Memory". At first I thought this was just a
> > > problem with this demo, until I tried to install the Starship Troopers
> > > Demo
> > > (Game) and it tried to install a third party audio system during install
> > > and
> > > that installer did the exact same thing. I noticed that both of them
> > > appeared to Installshield brand and had the msi files with them. So I am
> > > assuming it's an issue with my computer.
> > >
> > > Pentium 3.0
> > > 1 gig of ram
> > > geforce 6600 pci-e
> > > windows xp pro sp2

Ok i think i fixed the problem. When I went to windows update it reinstalled
the microsoft windows installer 3.1 and everything worked. So I can only
assume something got corrupted over the past week in that.