Problems upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro

September 10, 2005 2:33:01 PM

I currently have Win XP Home SP2, and wanted to upgrade to Win XP Pro. Bought
an upgrade CD (XP Pro SP2 also). When I tried to upgrade, got an error: Data
Error (cyclic redundancy error) for mountmgr.sys. Just could not get past
that.
Tried again changing in MSCONFIG to shutdown services, still no luck.
Tried booting from CD, error said "mountmgr.sys" is corrupted.
Tried Diagnostic Startup in MSCONFIG, same cyclic redundancy error.
All external devices to PC also turned off.
Any help please?

BTW, I needed IIS for web development and testing, so wanted to upgrade to
XP Pro.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 4:18:26 PM

In news:9F07FF31-1211-4B3B-A6FF-8FA16F0E0F7D@microsoft.com,
Sanjit <Sanjit@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I currently have Win XP Home SP2, and wanted to upgrade to Win
> XP
> Pro. Bought an upgrade CD (XP Pro SP2 also). When I tried to
> upgrade,
> got an error: Data Error (cyclic redundancy error) for
> mountmgr.sys.
> Just could not get past that.
> Tried again changing in MSCONFIG to shutdown services, still no
> luck.
> Tried booting from CD, error said "mountmgr.sys" is corrupted.
> Tried Diagnostic Startup in MSCONFIG, same cyclic redundancy
> error.
> All external devices to PC also turned off.
> Any help please?

It sounds to me like your CD *is* corrupted.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> BTW, I needed IIS for web development and testing, so wanted to
> upgrade to XP Pro.
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 12:06:04 PM

Thanks - will try to exchange from store (I hope I hope)

!