Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS IS HORRIBLE COMPANY. BAD PRODUCTS AND BAD SERVICE!

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 8, 2011 2:28:27 AM

I bought my Asus PW201 on April 2006 and the date of my post is February 2011. My monitor has been acting up horribly to the point where I can't use it. I turn on the monitor with the touch screen and immediately the monitor takes over and starts raising or lowering the brightness and volume all the way up or down. It also has a blue line that appears vertically through the screen. I  have tried every method out there from unplugging power supply from monitor and the wall.... still nothing different in performance. 
I paid $650 for this 'top quality' monitor but I am questioning its quality to perform when it only lasts 5 years. I have called ASUS and they simply say that it's out of warranty and I have to pay $250 to get it serviced. The ASUS rep even said that if they can't fix it I’m still stuck with the fee. This company is outrageous because they charge outrageous fees for a monitor I paid a huge amount for and the ASUS reps are no help at all. One rep just hung up on me because he couldn't help me diagnose the problem. RETHINK BUYING WITH ASUS. They don’t treat their loyal customers right and they are horribly greedy with repair costs. I will never buy another ASUS product again. I want a resolution. I want ASUS to fix these defective monitors free of charge. There needs to be a recall on this product. If there are 20 posts on just this subject it's only logical that 1000 people may have this same problem. I'm not one to throw away a piece of hardware and just buy a new one. I want this monitor fixed and I want my monitor's problem addressed by ASUS!
-------------
Can anyone here kindly address my problem, or agree with me.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 8, 2011 8:13:30 AM

This is a problem when you buy in a country where the retailer seems to have little responsibility for the product he sells and the law seems to put the onus on the manufacturer who duly provides a mere one year warranty on products we might reasonable expect to last 5 or 10 years.

Under UK law you would offer the retailer a chance to repair or replace the product or negotiate a refund that reflected the expected life of the product.

Now, to be fair, the UK position seems to be that you can expect around 6 years life from a consumer durable so you'd be looking for a refund of approx $180 and most UK retailers would probably not even offer you that, given the highly transitory nature of computer products (as opposed to domestic electronics like a TV, however similar this may be to a monitor).

Personally I'm not at all surprised at the response from Asus and I'm sure you'd get the same from any other brand. So I don't think your experience marks them out as villains.

The broader story is that US consumers pay less for products than shoppers in Europe where law is more consumer friendly. If you want better consumer protection, press for legislation -- but you may end up paying for it.

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 108 C Monitor
February 8, 2011 5:08:39 PM

i'm sure that everyone in the world wants a company to fix for free their out of warranty product that burned out on them, this doesnt mean it will happen. I know for a fact that a certain large company charges $70-90 up front for non-warranty lawnmowers,vacuums,etc. which is non refundable even if they cannot fix it. for big screen televisions the labor alone is insane. they are not villians just the average business - it is rare to find a company that stands behind its products for a considerable amount of time.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 195 C Monitor
February 8, 2011 10:58:59 PM

Asus is not a "top quality" monitor manufacturer. They are considered 2nd tier, not the best, but certainly not the worst. Not sure which country you live in but $650 is pretty expensive for an Asus monitor if you live in the US. I will assume you live outside the US since $650 is excessively high.

All monitor manufacturers have a limited warranty which can range from 1 to 5 years depending on the brand name and model. Some offer you the opportunity to purchase an extended warranty from the company. You cannot expect a company to provide free repairs if the warranty period has expired.

The repair policy and cost is standard for many companies. They cannot guarantee the product can be fixed because some parts may no longer be available.

All electronics eventually fail. Some sooner than others. 5 years of life for a monitor is actually not too bad, that's the least I would expect myself. However, I wouldn't expect a company offer free repairs for a product that is no longer under warranty. That's considered unreasonable.

If you want companies to offer lifetime warranties then you need to petition the "lawmakers" in your country to do so. If "lifetime" warranties are mandated by your country's legislature, then companies must offer that type of warranty to do business in your country.

The fallout of that result however will be increased prices (in order to cover repairs or replacements), or the company may decide the liability to do business in your country will be too high and they decide not to sell any products in your country.

If you do not want to deal with electronic failures, then don't buy any electronics....
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 101 C Monitor
February 10, 2011 6:08:12 PM

Don't agree one bit here, it's a 6 yr old product, the warranty is listed on it when you buy it. Demanding that they have a recall of an old product because you have an issue and pay to fix it is silly. Not everything you buy will be perfect forever, if you think so, you will be one angry person for a long time.

Here is a list of companies that will repair a product for free till you throw it away.

End of list.
m
l
February 20, 2011 2:02:36 AM

I appreciate your bias and unbiased opinions but I guess I ask too much of a corporation that only wishes to gain stock value and financial support. I will never stand for half assed products, even though that’s the majority of what we deal with today.
-ASUSPOOP
m
l
February 27, 2011 2:00:46 PM

Best answer selected by ASUSPOOP.
m
l
March 10, 2011 12:24:14 PM

please I have a problem with my keyboard spacing, it always space itself without somebody touching it. i need a solution to it. they Laptop is not up to two week old. just brought it newly.... i need a solution to the problem.. Incase u want to reply me, this is my e-mail address, lynda_ogechi@yahoo.com
m
l
March 10, 2011 12:25:44 PM

please I have a problem with my keyboard spacing, it always space itself without somebody touching it. i need a solution to it. they Laptop is not up to two week old. just brought it newly.... i need a solution to the problem.. Incase u want to reply me,
m
l
March 10, 2011 12:29:10 PM

please I have a problem with my keyboard spacing, it always space itself without somebody touching it. i need a solution to it. they Laptop is not up to two week old. just brought it newly.... i need a solution to the problem.. Incase u want to reply me,
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 101 C Monitor
March 10, 2011 1:43:48 PM

Not good practice to post a new issue in some-one elses post especially since the two issues have nothing to do with each-other. Try to reseat the space bar, or return the laptop for replacement since it's new. If you talk to the vendor I'm sure you can swap out the hard drives between the systems and not lose any files.
m
l
!