Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,
I have the following registry key:
HKCU\Software\SecuROM
which has a subkey named:
"!Caution" Never delete or change any key"

Now the problem is regedit will not let me either display, delete or change
permissions on that subkey and so I'm not able to delete the parent key
(SecuRom).
I'd like to assume this is not down to registry corruption but has been
somehow engineered by they "nice" people over at SecuRom in some.

Does anyone have a suggestion how it might be possible to remove such a
registry key?
(Exporing just that key only exports the parent key, without any subkeys, by
the way.)

Regards,
VT

CTR+ALT+DELETE twice, log in as Admin, go to REGEDIT and try again

"Pentium" wrote:
> CTR+ALT+DELETE twice, log in as Admin, go to REGEDIT and try again

I was already logged in as administrator.

.... or if there is no easy way:
I guess there is no way we can get exact details on the raw registry format as
stored in ntuser.dat files so I can remove it manually to to speak?

VT

Not a desktop admin, but "THE" administrator, usually hidden?

> "Pentium" wrote:
>> CTR+ALT+DELETE twice, log in as Admin, go to REGEDIT and try again
>
> I was already logged in as administrator.

First of all,
Whether one logs in as "the" administrator or another user of the
administrator group makes no difference whatsoever.
And yes, I was logged in as "the" (almight) administrator.

VT

Caution
[[Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before
making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your
computer. ]]

Try this...
Reset the registry permissions
As soon as you have found the registry subkey that has the incorrect
permissions, update the permissions for that subkey.

To update the permissions of the registry subkey, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK to start
Registry Editor.
b. Locate and right-click the registry subkey:
and then click Permissions.
c. Under Group or user names, click Administrators.
d. Under Permissions for Administrators, make sure that the Allow check box
for the following entries is selected:
• Full Control
• Read
e. Click Apply, and then click OK.
f. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

Open the Registry Editor again and see if you can delete the key now.

If not, try this...
Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
Navigate to >>>
the said key
Right click the key in the left hand pane | Permissions... | Advanced
button | Owner tab | click the new owner and then click OK.

[[You can take ownership of a registry key if you are logged on as an
administrator or if you have been specifically assigned the permission to
take ownership of the registry key by the cur

To assign permissions to a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key.mspx

To assign special access to a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_assign_specacc.mspx

To grant Full Control of a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_yield_own.mspx

To add users or groups to the audit list
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_audit_key_adduser.mspx

To add users or groups to the Permissions list
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key_adduser.mspx

To remove a user or group from the Permissions list
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key_remove.mspx

To take ownership of a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_take_own.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:404391C6-B33C-4B34-BFB3-EAFB1A87A698@microsoft.com,
vkov tinsky <vkovtinsky@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
> I have the following registry key:
> HKCU\Software\SecuROM
> which has a subkey named:
> "!Caution" Never delete or change any key"
>
> Now the problem is regedit will not let me either display, delete or
> change permissions on that subkey and so I'm not able to delete the
> parent key (SecuRom).
> I'd like to assume this is not down to registry corruption but has been
> somehow engineered by they "nice" people over at SecuRom in some.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion how it might be possible to remove such a
> registry key?
> (Exporing just that key only exports the parent key, without any subkeys,
> by the way.)
>
> Regards,
> VT

Hi,
That's exactly the problem. For a start it does not even let me select the
subkey
of SecuRom, let alone change permissions on it.
(Comes up with: "...Error while opening key").
If I try to change the permissions of SecuRom itself, and tell it to
"replace permissions on all child object ..." it says:
"Regedit could not set permissions for this key or subkey...."

If this one subkey really is just corrupt, is there a way to export
everything except that key (I guess pretty much the whole of ntuser.dat?) and
then delete the whole
of the user registry part, replacing it with a copy from the export?
In which case the question is... apart from "Software", which other keys
(Control Panel, Environment?) have to be copied too. (non volatile ones?)

Regards,
VT

Jim

> ... or if there is no easy way:
> I guess there is no way we can get exact details on the raw registry
> format as
> stored in ntuser.dat files so I can remove it manually to to speak?
>
> VT
Using Regedit is the manual way.
Jim

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Try deleting it in safe mode (tap f8 when booting up)

If that fails, then what is the error message on trying to delete the
"parent key" ?

Jon

"vkov tinsky" <vkovtinsky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have the following registry key:
> HKCU\Software\SecuROM
> which has a subkey named:
> "!Caution" Never delete or change any key"
>
> Now the problem is regedit will not let me either display, delete or
> change
> permissions on that subkey and so I'm not able to delete the parent key
> (SecuRom).
> I'd like to assume this is not down to registry corruption but has been
> somehow engineered by they "nice" people over at SecuRom in some.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion how it might be possible to remove such a
> registry key?
> (Exporing just that key only exports the parent key, without any subkeys,
> by
> the way.)
>
> Regards,
> VT

Jim

vkov tinsky wrote:
> Hi,
> That's exactly the problem. For a start it does not even let me select the
> subkey
> of SecuRom, let alone change permissions on it.
> (Comes up with: "...Error while opening key").
> If I try to change the permissions of SecuRom itself, and tell it to
> "replace permissions on all child object ..." it says:
> "Regedit could not set permissions for this key or subkey...."
>
> If this one subkey really is just corrupt, is there a way to export
> everything except that key (I guess pretty much the whole of ntuser.dat?) and
> then delete the whole
> of the user registry part, replacing it with a copy from the export?
> In which case the question is... apart from "Software", which other keys
> (Control Panel, Environment?) have to be copied too. (non volatile ones?)
>
> Regards,
> VT

You can try taking ownership of the key with this free app
http://www.resplendence.com/reglite

"Jim" wrote:
> You can try taking ownership of the key with this free app
> http://www.resplendence.com/reglite

While registrar (lite) seemd to take ownership of the key in question,
deleting
did not bring up an error message, but the key didn't disappear either.

Thanks for everyones' suggestions. I guess it'll have to wait until a
re-install of XP is due. I sent an email to SecuRom and I'm hoping it really
is just registry corruption and not their work!
If I get bored I'll give it a last try editing ntuser.dat (and maybe burn my
fingers in the process), but I sure won't be installing any more games which
use SecuRom.

Regards,
VT

Instead of using regedit use regedt32 (note the spelling)

"pcbutts1" wrote:
> Instead of using regedit use regedt32 (note the spelling)

If you don't even know that under WinXP regedit and regedt32 is the same
program then ... (oh dear I better stop before this becomes an insult lol).

VT

In news:ayMUe.1921$zq6.703@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net,
pcbutts1 <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> typed:

> Instead of using regedit use regedt32 (note the spelling)

No, they are the same, and it doesn't matter which you use.
Regedt32 just calls regedit.

Please reply to the newsgroup

vkov tinsky wrote:
> Hi,
> I have the following registry key:
> HKCU\Software\SecuROM
> which has a subkey named:
> "!Caution" Never delete or change any key"
>
> Now the problem is regedit will not let me either display, delete or change
> permissions on that subkey and so I'm not able to delete the parent key
> (SecuRom).
> I'd like to assume this is not down to registry corruption but has been
> somehow engineered by they "nice" people over at SecuRom in some.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion how it might be possible to remove such a
> registry key?
> (Exporing just that key only exports the parent key, without any subkeys, by
> the way.)

Have you tried exporting, editing and importing?

Hi vkov,

Did you try in Safe Mode?

It might be worth a shot to try using reg.exe.

Open a command prompt and type:

REG DELETE /?

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\SecuROM

You may have try different combinations, like...

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\SecuROM /va

More info on reg.exe & reg delete here...
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/reg.mspx

Also type reg in the Search box in Help and Support.

Or use reg.exe to export the key.

REG EXPORT HKCU\Software\SecuROM C:\FILENAME.REG

Or maybe create a .reg file. Double click the reg file to merge with
registry.

Example...
-------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SecuROM]

-------------------------------

One way to create the .reg file is use Regedit.exe to export the registry
key that you want to delete, then use Notepad to edit the .reg file and
insert the hyphen. Or just use the text above in notepad and save as
whateverfilename.reg.

How to add, modify, or delete registry subkeys and values by using a
registration entries (.reg) file
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310516

Beats me if this key is so corrupted that nothing affects it.

Try using ERUNT to backup the entire registry and then restore it.
Maybe it'll shake something loose. ERUNT will backup the whole registry and
can be re-imported without messing things up.

NTREGOPT NT Registry Optimizer
ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3D64A93D-E1D4-48A0-9E4D-5EB9D53F2BE0@microsoft.com,
vkov tinsky <vkovtinsky@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
> That's exactly the problem. For a start it does not even let me select the
> subkey
> of SecuRom, let alone change permissions on it.
> (Comes up with: "...Error while opening key").
> If I try to change the permissions of SecuRom itself, and tell it to
> "replace permissions on all child object ..." it says:
> "Regedit could not set permissions for this key or subkey...."
>
> If this one subkey really is just corrupt, is there a way to export
> everything except that key (I guess pretty much the whole of ntuser.dat?)
> and then delete the whole
> of the user registry part, replacing it with a copy from the export?
> In which case the question is... apart from "Software", which other keys
> (Control Panel, Environment?) have to be copied too. (non volatile ones?)
>
> Regards,
> VT

WOW! you're so smart VT but not smart enough to fix your own problem. I feel
sorry for you. I guess the correct answer would be to format and reinstall,
that will fix it. While you are formatting do some research on the
difference between the two you might learn something.

> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>> Instead of using regedit use regedt32 (note the spelling)
>
> If you don't even know that under WinXP regedit and regedt32 is the same
> program then ... (oh dear I better stop before this becomes an insult
> lol).
>

> VT

Does this mean you won't be asking vkov to post a HijackThis
log for your expert analysis?

Nepatsfan

P.S. You might learn something yourself by reading this
article:

Differences between Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141377

I found this line very informative:

"In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small
program that just runs Regedit.exe."

Z wrote:

> Have you tried exporting, editing and importing?

Can you run us through the procedure, particularly, editing once exported?
Lu

Right click on the key you want to delete and make sure that you have
permission.

"vkov tinsky" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have the following registry key:
> HKCU\Software\SecuROM
> which has a subkey named:
> "!Caution" Never delete or change any key"
>
> Now the problem is regedit will not let me either display, delete or change
> permissions on that subkey and so I'm not able to delete the parent key
> (SecuRom).
> I'd like to assume this is not down to registry corruption but has been
> somehow engineered by they "nice" people over at SecuRom in some.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion how it might be possible to remove such a
> registry key?
> (Exporing just that key only exports the parent key, without any subkeys, by
> the way.)
>
> Regards,
> VT

Jim

Didn't notice it being mentioned, but have you tried to do an uninstall
of the app that is related to SecuRom, apparently it is used with games,
and each time the game is activated the key is regenerated, also have
you tried to do a System Restore to the point before you installed this
product.

Jim

Thanks a lot Jim, using this tool I was able to delete my unownable key. (Macromedia Flash issue)

MarioJoia

Honorable

Right-Click on the key/s that you want to remove, select permissions, then apply FULL ACCESS to the account that you're using the regedit.
BEWARE AND BE WARNED (as usual) Messing around with the registry may lead to worse situations, follow this advice at your own risk :pt1cable:

Raising a thread from the dead is not a good way to start your relationship with Tom's, MarioJoia. Anything over ninety days old is considered dead here so if you want to post advice, please pick up threads younger than that.

Please also remember that you are posting to folks who know little about their systems to always advise backing up the Registry before working in it. I'm closing this old thread now