Windows pro vs Windows Home.

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I have WinXP pro on one computer, and Win XP home on the other. I was
thinking about upgrading the home system to Pro. I am your average computer
junkie user. I need some input from the group.
Thanks

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have WinXP pro on one computer, and Win XP home on the other. I was
> thinking about upgrading the home system to Pro. I am your average
computer
> junkie user. I need some input from the group.
> Thanks

What do you want to do with the present "home" version computer that you
think you need "pro" version? If both computers are networked, what
possible benefit would a second pro OS do you? Do you plan to set up a
domain for two computers using one as a server for the other?

Molly wrote:

> I have WinXP pro on one computer, and Win XP home on the other. I was
> thinking about upgrading the home system to Pro. I am your average computer
> junkie user. I need some input from the group.
> Thanks

Based on your description of yourself, I'd say don't bother.

Bob

There's be almost no advantage, unless you need IIS, drive encryption, NTFS
security (non-simple file sharing) -- you cannot use XP as a domain
controller (you'd need Server 2K or 2K3 for that) anyway.

"Lenny Bruce" <spamme@devnul.com> wrote in message

> What do you want to do with the present "home" version computer that you
> think you need "pro" version? If both computers are networked, what
> possible benefit would a second pro OS do you? Do you plan to set up a
> domain for two computers using one as a server for the other?

Or remote desktop. That's why I run Pro.

Tom
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> There's be almost no advantage, unless you need IIS, drive encryption,
NTFS
> security (non-simple file sharing) -- you cannot use XP as a domain
> controller (you'd need Server 2K or 2K3 for that) anyway.
>

> "Lenny Bruce" <spamme@devnul.com> wrote in message
>
> > What do you want to do with the present "home" version computer that you
> > think you need "pro" version? If both computers are networked, what
> > possible benefit would a second pro OS do you? Do you plan to set up a
> > domain for two computers using one as a server for the other?

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Molly wrote:
> I have WinXP pro on one computer, and Win XP home on the other. I was
> thinking about upgrading the home system to Pro.

Why are you thinking about this upgrade - how will XP Pro be better?