I saw on the Windows Update website that Microsoft will only support updates
for SP1 and SP2. I have XP with SP2 now but I want to format my computer and
when I install XP back onto my computer I will have no service packs. Will I
still be able to download SP1 or SP2 from Microsoft or will I have to buy it
seprately or am I just out of luck?
Thanks

In news:C1FE64A1-9D4D-4770-9227-658A351F397D@microsoft.com,
RWP <RWP@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I saw on the Windows Update website that Microsoft will only
> support
> updates for SP1 and SP2. I have XP with SP2 now but I want to
> format
> my computer and when I install XP back onto my computer I will
> have
> no service packs. Will I still be able to download SP1 or SP2
> from
> Microsoft

Yes, just redownload and reinstall SP2. You can download the full
copy of it and save it future reuse at
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

or http://tinyurl.com/5bobl

I recommend that you download it from the above link, and make a
slipstreamed CD. See

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

However why do you want to reformat and reinstall? In my view,
it's usually a mistake. With a modicum of care, it should never
be necessary to reinstall Windows (XP or any other version). I've
run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows
2000, and Windows XP, each for the period of time before the next
version came out, and each on two machines here. I never
reinstalled any of them, and I have never had anything more than
an occasional minor problem.

It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
"reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
everything work the way you like?

Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
have failed.

If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone
can help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Jan

yes you will be able to download sp1 sp2

"RWP" wrote:

> I saw on the Windows Update website that Microsoft will only support updates
> for SP1 and SP2. I have XP with SP2 now but I want to format my computer and
> when I install XP back onto my computer I will have no service packs. Will I
> still be able to download SP1 or SP2 from Microsoft or will I have to buy it
> seprately or am I just out of luck?
> Thanks

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:23:04 -0700, jan
<jan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"RWP" wrote:
>
>> I saw on the Windows Update website that Microsoft will only support updates
>> for SP1 and SP2. I have XP with SP2 now but I want to format my computer and
>> when I install XP back onto my computer I will have no service packs. Will I
>> still be able to download SP1 or SP2 from Microsoft or will I have to buy it
>> seprately or am I just out of luck?
>> Thanks
>yes you will be able to download sp1 sp2

However, there is no need to download both. Just download SP2.