Three minutes to delete a file

I have XP on a Dell laptop, 13GB free space, 256MB RAM.

Recently, it has been taking up to three minutes just to delete a file using
Windows Explorer.

Please advise,
Alan

Alan,

Thats expected if there are a large number of files present in a folder that you are trying to
delete.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Alan4297" <Alan4297@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP on a Dell laptop, 13GB free space, 256MB RAM.
>
> Recently, it has been taking up to three minutes just to delete a file using
> Windows Explorer.
>
> Please advise,
> Alan

It takes three minutes to delete a single file of 1K.

I am not trying to delete a folder.

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Thats expected if there are a large number of files present in a folder that you are trying to
> delete.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>

> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Alan4297" <Alan4297@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have XP on a Dell laptop, 13GB free space, 256MB RAM.
> >
> > Recently, it has been taking up to three minutes just to delete a file using
> > Windows Explorer.
> >
> > Please advise,
> > Alan

Run chkdsk c: /f from a command prompt window. Allow a disk check upon
reboot - then do it. Try to delete a file again. You may have hard drive
corruption and that could cause a slow down as the system tries to sort
things out.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

> It takes three minutes to delete a single file of 1K.
>
> I am not trying to delete a folder.
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Alan,
>>
>> Thats expected if there are a large number of files present in a folder
>> that you are trying to
>> delete.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>

>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Alan4297" <Alan4297@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have XP on a Dell laptop, 13GB free space, 256MB RAM.
>> >
>> > Recently, it has been taking up to three minutes just to delete a file
>> > using
>> > Windows Explorer.
>> >
>> > Please advise,
>> > Alan

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

If it's a very large file then that's normal

Jon

"Alan4297" <Alan4297@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP on a Dell laptop, 13GB free space, 256MB RAM.
>
> Recently, it has been taking up to three minutes just to delete a file
> using
> Windows Explorer.
>
> Please advise,
> Alan

The last file that I deleted just before posting was 1K.

I'm sure it takes the same time to delete a 1K file as it does to delete a
file that fills the entire disk. This is because it is only the entry in the
directory that needs to be deleted. The actual data remains on the disk.
That's why the file can sometimes be undeleted if the sectors have not been
overwritten by another file.

Alan

"Jon" wrote:

> If it's a very large file then that's normal
>
> Jon
>

> "Alan4297" <Alan4297@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have XP on a Dell laptop, 13GB free space, 256MB RAM.
> >
> > Recently, it has been taking up to three minutes just to delete a file
> > using
> > Windows Explorer.
> >
> > Please advise,
> > Alan

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

There's a microsoft response in this thread that may help

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1478078.php

Jon

> The last file that I deleted just before posting was 1K.
>
> I'm sure it takes the same time to delete a 1K file as it does to delete a
> file that fills the entire disk. This is because it is only the entry in
> the
> directory that needs to be deleted. The actual data remains on the disk.
> That's why the file can sometimes be undeleted if the sectors have not
> been
> overwritten by another file.
>
> Alan
>

> "Jon" wrote:
>
>> If it's a very large file then that's normal
>>
>> Jon
>>

>> "Alan4297" <Alan4297@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have XP on a Dell laptop, 13GB free space, 256MB RAM.
>> >
>> > Recently, it has been taking up to three minutes just to delete a file
>> > using
>> > Windows Explorer.
>> >
>> > Please advise,
>> > Alan

Richard,

I followed your advice.

I then created a folder with 100 copies of the file that previously took 3
minutes to delete. It took 1 second to delete these 100 files :)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Alan

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> Run chkdsk c: /f from a command prompt window. Allow a disk check upon
> reboot - then do it. Try to delete a file again. You may have hard drive
> corruption and that could cause a slow down as the system tries to sort
> things out.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Alan4297" <Alan4297@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It takes three minutes to delete a single file of 1K.
> >
> > I am not trying to delete a folder.
> >
> > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Alan,
> >>
> >> Thats expected if there are a large number of files present in a folder
> >> that you are trying to
> >> delete.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Anando