How to remove a CPU?

I'm changing the heatsink and fan on my P4 for a better model, as I was just using the Intel one which came bundled with it. This uses a heatpad on the bottom. How should I go about removing the heatsink from the CPU?? I am terrified of wrenching the CPU out of its socket, bending wires, etc. What's the best way to go about the job, and it there anything I should do to the CPU chip before I put the new heatsink on? Thanks for the help!
3 answers Last reply
More about remove
  1. the standard P4 HS comes with a little waxy phase-change pad on the bottom. It should come away fairly easily - it's not glue in any form.

The CPU itself is quite securely locked into its socket and should be easily secure enough to not get pulled out with the HS.

More importantly, why are you changing it? unless you're heavily overclocking your computer, Intel's stock HS is fine.

If you're set on changing it though, just unlock the HS and carefully pull it off, and then it's probably wise to clean off the CPU - just rub the excess waxy stuff off with a paper towel will do.

If your new HSF has a little pad on the bottom (most do come with something pre-applied) then you can just re-install it. If your new HSF is completely clean on the bottom, then you'll need to apply a very thin layer of some thermal compound to the top of the CPU before putting the HSF on top & clamping it down.

HTH

---
    <font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:
  2. Thanks! I'm changing it because it basically seems to fail on all fronts, though of course it could be my own skill (this is my first home built PC). At this current point with just normal operation, it is running at 56-58 C. I would not only like to get it cooler but also do want to try and do a bit of overclocking. And not only that, it is really quite noisy and means that my comp sounds like a vacuum cleaner on speed. I would of course be sure to use a good thermal paste if required.
  3. THIS IS COMMON SENSE IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT...BUT IT IS A COMMON MISCONCEPTION AND CAN HINDER COOLING PERFORMANCE...SO I'M WRITING IT ANYWAY:

remember that with the thermal paste...less is more.

nothing beats metal on metal contact for heat transfer into

the heatsink...the paste should only be used to fill

the extremely tiny holes in the surface of the metal that

you can't see, so that air doesn't fill

them instead. however, too much paste and

you reduce the amount of metal on metal contact.

I usually put on extra paste and lightly scrape over it

with a flat edge

EDIT: appologies...I didn't see that line ChipDeath put about "a very thin layer of compound"...I think that had the topic covered <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stadion1 on 02/04/04 10:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Heatsinks